Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you always use safety glasses/goggles?

When using my glasses I only see a tiny white dot where all the light is focusing. The beam is completely invisable (on my 1w 445)

I usually go without the glasses, unless I'm burning things.

Do you always use safety glasses? and should I always be wearing them

Last edited:

For up close stuff, always, for more modest lasers if your outside or something its not as big a deal to not wear them, but if your using a high power laser its good practice to always wear them in case of an accident. Case and point, I was taking photos with my high power 445, and my cat knocked it over and the beam flashed across my face. Had I not been wearing my glasses I could easily have been blinded.

It depend on your experience, what you are doing at the time and whether or not you are willing to take that chance. I have been working with lasers for almost 40 years. I have a reasonably long period of experience with many different kinds and powers. No, I don't always wear them, but it depends on the circumstances.

Reactions: GSS
Almost never.
Burning things got boring a long time ago. I got the pyromaniac out of my system back when I had that 700mW 532nm PGL. The golden days of laserpointerforums.
Pretty colors are more my thing these days so I limit my laser usage to outdoor pointing (trees, mountains, clouds for a few minutes) or photographing the beams while the device is stationary.
I only have one modestly powerful (~500mW) laser now and that guy only gets usage outdoors. I'm probably going to reduce the output, even.

I understand the appeal of some of the ridiculous >2W builds some of you guys show off but I just can't bring myself to making one myself. To me, it's just not as fun when it's so easy to unintentionally burn holes in household objects and retinas. 50-100mW is a good range for me. Bright enough to impress but it won't blow you away if a moth crosses the beam while you're pointing at some stars (it's happened to me).

I'd also be interested to know what you all think about what power range is most fun.

Last edited:

hoo7h

I have my glasses on anytime I am running my lasers, unless I am pointing at the sky/trees far away.

Last edited:
I have 2 pairs within arms reach on my desk and put them on out of habit, but sometimes if I know I want to view the beam I will wear them low on my nose so I can tip my head down once I know I have a safe beam path established.

Accidents happen when you least expect them, you may bump your tail cap switch as you turn, I make it a habit to treat a laser like a loaded gun and always point it in a safe direction, typically down and slightly forward, safety also means protecting others from an accident if you don't live alone or if you're outdoors.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also be interested to know what you all think about what power range is most fun.

It's funny that you asked that, I like concentrated power for burning, but for pointing at the tree line and distant objects I enjoy the 5mw 520nm I recently bought, it's enough for me to enjoy without drawing any attention, I even walked down the street and had someone point it at the tree line and sweep it back and forth.......it disappears if your not looking for it and unless it's pointed in your direction it's not noticeable at all.

It's only 5-10mw but it's just enough for me to enjoy it without always looking for who's looking at me, not that I have any problems, I just don't want to be known as that laser guy in case some idiot gets a birthday laser and starts pointing it at airplanes or cars/people...ect...

p.s. I don't wear any safety glasses with the 5mw, and that makes it fun too. ;)

Last edited:
With my more powerful lasers(445's), I tend to have them on my nose and peek over the top if I want to see the beam. I avoid looking at the dot of my 445's and even the 100mW 520 when the goggles are not covering my retinas properly and keep my goggles on 100% of the time when burning anything with any of my lasers. I always keep the laser pointed away from me and always avoid reflections especially when not using the goggles with my 100mW.(Which happens sometimes)

I do not have any goggles for my 200mW red so it has barely been used (Probably been on for 10 mins since December) and if I do use it, I use it outside to avoid reflections and never burn anything with it.

At the end of the day, if you are aware of the harmful effects of these lasers and know how to avoid them then you should try every precaution to prevent the harmful effects. If you do not wear goggles sometimes there is a chance, even if the chance is small.

Last edited:

GSS

Idrago, i'm guessing you have the generic red lensed glasses that came with the laser.
They only let in around 30% of light, "there's a technical term" but there are way superier glasses like the "Eagle's" which let in as much as 55% and still protect you up to OD5.
It will help with seeing the spot or dot but you still won't see the beam.
If your going to start collecting laser's it's highly recommended to get a good pair like these. If youv'e followed the forum i'm sure you have seen over and over just how important good glasses are.
If you were to burn and lift your glasses to adjust the spot, anything can happen in that split second. You have read it all;)
Look at the add for "Survival Lasers" on this forum and it will be the best $40 or less you can spend.

Last edited:
Idrago, i'm guessing you have the generic red lensed glasses that came with the laser.
They only let in around 30% of light, "there's a technical term" but there are better glasses like the "Eagle's" which let in as much as 55% and still protect you up to OD5.
It will help with seeing the spot or dot but you still won't see the beam.
If your going to start collecting laser's it's highly recommended to get a good pair like these. If youv'e followed the forum i'm sure you had seen over and over just how important good glasses are.
If you were to burn and lift your glasses to adjust the spot, anything can happen in that split second. You have read it all;)
Look at the add for "Survival Lasers" on this forum and it will be the best $40 or less you can spend.

The generic glasses are terrible.They seem like red tinted sun glasses. The laser I can't really see the dot on is a 1w 445 laser.

GSS

Yup, they more or less just darken the lenses for some type of protection..
http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Eag...rd_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862033.aspx
These let you see much more of what your burning and are a true OD5. "Protection for even up to a 100W laser"
Save your penny's as it's really the way to go and any forum member gets 10% off.
$40 is sure worth your eye sight and as i'm sure you will show your lasers to friends, having the ones you have now can be back ups for them.

Last edited: