Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

do we need the reputation system after the move?

Do we want the Reputation system in the new style?

• Yes, everyone needs to know who the scoundrels are!

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No, was just a opportunity to play favorites and served no purpose.

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters

Kenom

it's my belief that the reputation system is not needed here at laser pointer forums and I'm wanting everyone elses opinion. Maybe if the majority agree, we will see it go away.

I find it important to note that I've searched and searched to no avail to actually look at someone's reputation posts and have not succeeded in being able to see anyone but my own. If another person cannot read the posts about someone then it totally nulify's the arguments for reputation system.

Last edited:

Razako

IMO it should come back if possible, but I wouldn't be too sad to see it go. Even if it wasn't totally accurate it was still a fun thing to play around with.

My vote goes for no reputation system.
My reasoning is that it is too easily fooled to beat the system by voting back and forth between friends and just trading rep for rep. It also keeps some individuals from speaking their mind for fear that they will get a negative rep on their rep count. If there is a rep system it should be based on rep points awarded or taken away by Avery himself (as if he had the time to do this kind of thing).

I found the old LPF Rep system useful when dealing with a member...
without me having to ask noob questions on the Forum about member's
past dealings and reputation... It's helped me numerous times..
But you need to read the coments........

It's not the numbers that are important... but the comments left...

Jerry

i like it for the same reason as lasersbee

Last edited:

Kenom

Yeah but where do you view a persons rep? it's not a matter of just easily clicking on a persons profile and viewing them. I can view my own, but not other peoples.

i think it allows for more trustful transactions in the buy/sell/trade sub forum. as well as group buys....

other than that probably not needed.

IMHO, we should have some sort of rep system, It's saved me more than once from dealing with shady/untrustworthy people...

I could only see it being useful if you could view past positives and negatives rather than a grand total... Comments would be good too... Other than that it's pretty much useless.

Kenom

I could only see it being useful if you could view past positives and negatives rather than a grand total... Comments would be good too... Other than that it's pretty much useless.

This is my major contention at this point. I've tried to no avail to see anyone elses but my comments and cannot.

I found the old LPF Rep system useful when dealing with a member...
without me having to ask noob questions on the Forum about member's
past dealings and reputation... It's helped me numerous times..
But you need to read the coments........

It's not the numbers that are important... but the comments left...

Jerry

I agree with Jerry. I would like to know what kind of person I'm dealing with. When I first logged on I checked all the Reps to find the people with the highest knowledge on the subject, thus weeding out the ones that didn't know what they are talking about. Also its good at finding honorable people. It is a useful tool in many ways.

I do agree that it is abused, but you have to take the good with the bad.

My $0.10...Can I have my change please?

Last edited:
Sure... here's your $0.07............. Inflation... LOL

But I agree with Kenom... we should all be able to see the comments
left with the rep point of any member just as before the move...

Jerry

Last edited:
I'd like to see it back.

Same old discussion.

But it DOES serve a purpose. You KNOW a member is experienced or just known around the forums if you see they have a >40 reputation, not many members have a reputation like that, even if half of them are lulzy-funny images. Most bad users have a zero or negative reputation. It is kind of helpful.

The rep system is definitely a must. The reputation of someone really tells if they can be reliable for trades and what-not, especially for new people. Although I would really recommend for the comments to be visible, it doesn't have to be.

is there a way to see the comments
i went into the page source and i found something beside my rep that says
"jamilm9 is on a distinguished road"

Last edited: