Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do People Think You Are Weird For Building Lasers?

Do People Think You are Weird For Being able to Build Lasers?

• Yes

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

lazer

Do people think you're weird for being able to understand lasers and electronics?

YGG

Nope, but my friend thinks he created a monster of me by bringing a ebay greenie, I was interested before, that just amplified my interest. Probably would have happened without him at some point.

All the time. People don't understand why I would spend so much money on these things.

lazer

My friends say its a waste of money all for something that can blind you in less than an instant, as they put it.

k1kb0t

Some, because they can't understand why and may never understand.

I'm quite fortunate. I work with a group of engineers and they think it's cool that their corporate controller (accounting) can build lasers.

Jaseth

Mostly not, many of my friends think laser shows are exciting and beautiful and that my lasers are pretty cool to play with. I generally get pretty good reactions, but it might be because my friends and family are awesome.
A few times I meet people who don't understand why I spend so much on them but when I ask them what better things they would spend the money on they usually go "Uhh.. like clothes and.. uhh, cinema trips and alcohol or something.." and then realise that they would "waste the money" too.
IMO when you have fulfilled your needs such as buying food and basic clothes, paying your mortgage and your other bills (and of course provided for your family), you should spend the money on whatever makes you happy, not what some other people think is supposed to make you happy.
In my case I spend the extra money I have on concerts/festivals, my bike, lasers, clothes, partying and buying new computer/MP3 player/phone when I need it.
I also spend a bit on some other interests such as Zippos, pc games, knives, books, crystals/fossils, paintball and softair guns and cigars. (Wow, I just realised how much stuff I collect, and I didn't even mention it all!)
The clothes I buy are good quality, but they are bought for the looks I like and not just because of some brand. Cigars are only smoked 2-3 times a month and when I go out I rarely drink huge amounts, and I usually have some of what I drink with some friends beforehand.

Many of my friends buy really really expensive clothes, smoke every day and buy a lot of drinks in town and that alone makes up for most of what I spend on everything else myself, but I have just as much fun going out (usually more) and my clothes often look better because I wear what I like whereas they will wear anything with the right brand name.
However the people I hang out with see this.. they know that they are just different interests and fully respect mine. They enjoy laser shows at concerts and in clubs and think it's cool that I have lasers myself (and even more that I soon have a scanner), but they would not buy one themselves.

Jaffi

my friends just don't understand how I can spend that amount of money on LASERS, for them it's just a toy you use for a little while and that gets boring very quickly^^

I generally don't let people I know that my main hobby is lasers, only a couple of my friends have seen my real lasers. This prevents me from people thinking I'm weird or that I'm a nerd...lol.