Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I need to use a driver?

NitroxLasers said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1226463231/20#22 date=1227734069][quote author=NitroxLasers.com link=1226463231/20#21 date=1227695955]I have had very good personal experience using these 22x open cans with rkcstr constant current driver. One thing you have to keep in mind, though, is that with this and other LM317-based drivers, you'll have a voltage gap of around 2.2v, so you should use 2x 3.6v AA-sized lithium batteries instead of standard AA's.
Wait... You use drivers in your lasers? :-?[/quote]
The MLPro's (MagLite models) all have the option of adding a constant current driver. In addition, the BluRay's all have 'em, and so does the Stealth Clicker 350x, which uses an MXDL 6v host and is on sale now for [highlight]$339.50[/highlight]:cool:

We've been building them with drivers at least optional for a while now.[/quote]
Holy crap!! :eek:
I'm pretty sure they are good lasers, but that is a very big price for a red laser with a rckstr driver.

StrictlyBudget said:
[quote author=NitroxLasers link=1226463231/20#30 date=1227868416][quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1226463231/20#22 date=1227734069][quote author=NitroxLasers.com link=1226463231/20#21 date=1227695955]I have had very good personal experience using these 22x open cans with rkcstr constant current driver. One thing you have to keep in mind, though, is that with this and other LM317-based drivers, you'll have a voltage gap of around 2.2v, so you should use 2x 3.6v AA-sized lithium batteries instead of standard AA's.
The MLPro's (MagLite models) all have the option of adding a constant current driver. In addition, the BluRay's all have 'em, and so does the Stealth Clicker 350x, which uses an MXDL 6v host and is on sale now for $339.50  :cool:

We've been building them with drivers at least optional for a while now.[/quote]
cool! what's the difference between the Stealth Clicker 350x and the MLextreme 350?[/quote]
MLextreme:
No Driver
No Heatsink
Maglite
No Clicky Switch

Stealth Clicker:
Driver
Heatsink
MXDL
Clicky Switch

As you can see, the stealth clicker is superior to the MLextreme.

N

NitroxLasers.com

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=StrictlyBudget link=1226463231/20#31 date=1227894535][quote author=NitroxLasers link=1226463231/20#30 date=1227868416][quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1226463231/20#22 date=1227734069][quote author=NitroxLasers.com link=1226463231/20#21 date=1227695955]I have had very good personal experience using these 22x open cans with rkcstr constant current driver. One thing you have to keep in mind, though, is that with this and other LM317-based drivers, you'll have a voltage gap of around 2.2v, so you should use 2x 3.6v AA-sized lithium batteries instead of standard AA's.
The MLPro's (MagLite models) all have the option of adding a constant current driver. In addition, the BluRay's all have 'em, and so does the Stealth Clicker 350x, which uses an MXDL 6v host and is on sale now for $339.50  :cool:

cool! what's the difference between the Stealth Clicker 350x and the MLextreme 350?[/quote]
MLextreme:
No Driver
No Heatsink
Maglite
No Clicky Switch

Stealth Clicker:
Driver
Heatsink
MXDL
Clicky Switch

As you can see, the stealth clicker is superior to the MLextreme.[/quote]

All of the MLExtreme / MLPro models were actually supposed to include a driver option for the past several weeks, but apparently a database error of some sort prevented the attributes from being properly displayed. Dontcha just love OSCommerce?

Anyway....

No Driver - Driver option (as well as lithium batteries req'd for the driver) now displays properly.
No Clicky Switch - All of our MagLite models since March of this year have has a push-button switch on the bottom. Look closely at the picture of our MLPro 240 here (http://nitroxlasers.com/shop/Nitrox+MLpro+240+-+240mw+AA+MagLite+Burning+Laser) and you'll see the twist-on replacement switch on the bottom of the laser.

Oh, and I'm giving all LPF members a 10% discount off all orders (and shipping is always free). Coupon code LFP10OFF should be activated by later this afternoon.NOW ACTIVE! :)

AjentX

so keeping with this driver deal.. if you get something like say dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10091 do you need a driver with that? (its a couple DX modules..) or can i just hook that to a button and a couple batts? (dont wanna fry the first laser i try to build ;D)

AjentX said:
so keeping with this driver deal.. if you get something like say dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10091 do you need a driver with that? (its a couple DX modules..) or can i just hook that to a button and a couple batts? (dont wanna fry the first laser i try to build  ;D)
Naw, that thing comes with a driver.

A

anubis.1990

thebucketmouse said:
haha nah. i mean, has anyone else even tried running a dvd burner diode with AAs?? ive done it with two different diodes from entirely different DVD burners, they both seem to do fine. i think the whole "kill the diode instantly" thing is just a ploy to sell more drivers.

I've been running an 8x diode in a minimag for just under a year now (not continuously obviously) and it still works like a charm, burning tape, plastics, matches, etc, straight from AA's.

anubis.1990 said:
[quote author=thebucketmouse link=1226463231/0#14 date=1226977606]haha nah. i mean, has anyone else even tried running a dvd burner diode with AAs?? ive done it with two different diodes from entirely different DVD burners, they both seem to do fine. i think the whole "kill the diode instantly" thing is just a ploy to sell more drivers.

I've been running an 8x diode in a minimag for just under a year now (not continuously obviously) and it still works like a charm, burning tape, plastics, matches, etc, straight from AA's.[/quote]
An 8x diode lights matches and cuts tape :-?

The diode degrades if you drive it without a driver...
It's just bad for the diode...

It is like someone punching you in the arm consecutively...
Can you take it? Yes.
Is it good for you? No.

The only time you need a driver is if your in a limo :-?

J/K of course you need a driver :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

A

anubis.1990

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=anubis.1990 link=1226463231/20#38 date=1229284692][quote author=thebucketmouse link=1226463231/0#14 date=1226977606]haha nah. i mean, has anyone else even tried running a dvd burner diode with AAs?? ive done it with two different diodes from entirely different DVD burners, they both seem to do fine. i think the whole "kill the diode instantly" thing is just a ploy to sell more drivers.

I've been running an 8x diode in a minimag for just under a year now (not continuously obviously) and it still works like a charm, burning tape, plastics, matches, etc, straight from AA's.[/quote]
An 8x diode lights matches and cuts tape :-?

The diode degrades if you drive it without a driver...
It's just bad for the diode...

It is like someone punching you in the arm consecutively...
Can you take it? Yes.
Is it good for you? No.[/quote]

yep, you had to focus it down to a pinpoint, and use fresh batteries for best results, but i have successfully engraved my name into the bottom of te laptop i use to type this message, and my cell phone.

Matter of fact, i dunno if it was just a stroke of bad luck or what, but BOTH the green laser AND the red laser mentioned above died within a half hour of each other today :(((. the diode finally did give in i guess, cause it led'd on me, and i think the crystal cracked or something in the dpss greenie i have, because it absolutely refuses to lase green. I am getting IR out, but nothing else.