Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I need safety glasses for a 50mw laser.

I don't want to wear safety glasses on 50mw. 50mw isn't that strong. And goggles take away the fun.

I dont think you are asking the right question here, what are u gonna do with the laser just point it up in the sky outside then no u dont need glasses.. but do remember that 50mW is more what the eye can handle a direct hit of that and u could get permanent eye damage in case of a accident, and they do happen never take light on lasers power!

Sorry about my above post, that was a little rude & I deleted it.

50mW's is borderline what many consider where goggles are required. As mortuus said, anything above 5mW's is considered unsafe for the eye since the blink reflex won't be able to protect your eyes before damage occurs :yh:

-Alex

Gabe

I say pointing it around a large room, it's borderline alright. Just watch out for shiny things, they creep up on you. Pointing it outside, same deal. Avoid looking at the dot when it's <2m away from your face, and don't try any burning tricks up close without goggles.

Hi,
yes yes yes or don't own a laser sell it . Get into the habit its not worth the risk.
Be safe always don't be a statistic. Be resposible we all care ..:))

Ok with what I have heard I am going to wear safety glasses when handling it in a shiny room. But when in non-reflective rooms I am not going to wear them. I also won't use my laser to shoot down planes.
:lasergun:
Or do i really need goggles any time. I really want to see the beam.

Last edited:
Don't even joke about the aircraft thing . i know it was a joke but we hear enough of that. Anyway have a great time with your new beam blaster I'm sure you will be getting more after you see the wonderful WL these diodes put on a show for you. Be cool and safe.. :))

Gabe

Ok with what I have heard I am going to wear safety glasses when handling it in a shiny room. But when in non-reflective rooms I am not going to wear them. I also won't use my laser to shoot down planes.
:lasergun:
Or do i really need goggles any time. I really want to see the beam.

You pretty much got it, yep. Also if the room is painted white or if the dot is on something white, use common sense to know when you're pushing it. Like if you have to kinda wince or squint to look at the dot, that's when you know it's too close or too bright. Also if you see that blue spot you get when you look at something really bright in the centre of your vision, you're pushing it as well. Best of luck, stay safe :beer: