Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do 565nm - 585nm wavelengths come in Handheld Pointers?

Pyramid

A moderator from this website sent me a link to a list of Wavelengths and where I can purchase them, availability, cost, and more. I seen one (575nm) that said Inexpensive (<$50) and was wondering how much it would be to get a handheld pointer in this wavelength, as I went to the website (OPTLasers) and I only seen what looked like DIY items. I'm assuming I will have to pay $300+ because I have never seen a handheld of that wavelength.
I'm sure they do come in handheld, but I could be wrong. A better question would be how much would it cost?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
These had unfortunately a short availability and were only modules not handheld. People had to make them into handhelds. The laser crystal was new and undergone some degrading. They got a batch that was absolutely fine operating at both 575 and 565nm. But some experienced power stability issues and failure on their modules. They have since disappeared. Hopefully they will be back again in the future.

Pyramid

These had unfortunately a short availability and were only modules not handheld. People had to make them into handhelds. The laser crystal was new and undergone some degrading. They got a batch that was absolutely fine operating at both 575 and 565nm. But some experienced power stability issues and failure on their modules. They have since disappeared. Hopefully they will be back again in the future.

Thanks! (If pointers are available in 480nm - 500nm), would I be able to purchase one for less than $100?
Nice collection, btw.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Ask around on the forum. 488-495nm diodes are not that expensive now so it could be possible to get a cyan build for around that budget if using a cheap flashlight host. And thanks. You will fall into the trap of collecting too ;) lol

The other option which is surprisingly good is the Waterproof 488's.
It is the style linked below, however I recommend you shop around for the best deal and for a company with a good reputation. I got mine on eBay, but was far cheaper than the one of there right now. They are solid lasers for the price. I highly recommend them if you want a cheap but reliable 488.

There was a member who had a handheld 556 nm laser. It was made by that well known Asian company. A subsidiary located in Texas at one time sold a pointer at that wavelength.

Old thread with photos. https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/new-portable-dpss-wavelength-556nm-20mw-cni.65451/

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I recall seeing a 556nm pointer too. Definitely not in the OP's price range and definitely not widely available.

Edit: Sounds like CNI to me, and the sub was probably Laserglow.

Back in those days you could purchase handhelds from CNI directly. They have since stopped selling complete portable lasers to the US, however the PGL-H1 and PGL-VI modules are available and those are what their handhelds used. I plan to pick up one of the 561 PGL-H1 modules for a build sooner or later.

I did get one of the 575nm lasers when they were available. Should have also purchased the 565nm too, but had no idea at the time that they would become so scarce. Hindsight is always 20/20. Mine still works just as well as it did when I first received it. I doubt Opt Lasers in China will be getting back into these lasers as they have had real problems receiving new crystals used to make them.

The 486nm to 493nm diodes come from Sharp. In that range of wavelengths the color can change drastically with just a few nms. The ones that are 486nm to 488nm seem to look more blue to me while the higher WL ones have more green in them.

18LJ

Uhh i just saw like 2 days ago they were advertising 564 nm lasers on ali optlasers store. I would already have bought one but ive never ordered anything from ali before and i recall last time these were around some people received their orders and some people didn't and were getting the run around as far as refunds go. Im not fooled by the fake ass pictures of spotless labs and techs working in cleanrooms if i had to guess my money would bet on optlasers is a couple dudes in shenzen china somewhere in a sublet storage shed behind some industrial warehouses. They probably try and coordinate where at least one person shows up once a day to answer emails and print orders to stack in a cue pile then spends a few hours rummaging thru boxes of parts that are poorly labeled and ineffectively organized and sorting parts to envelopes/boxes to drop at post on the way for the day. Probably not a total scam vendor but not a smooth operating business where there are reliable staff dedicated to specific business tasks and can resolve customer service issues promptly. I know some of lpf menbers had extensive correspondence with the people over there about issues with the lasers and sourcing and what not, anyway if those that are connected wanna reach out and see if optlasers has some more in stock id probably try risking ordering one (or count me in if anyone wants to do a groupbuy )

Hi, Ok yes the 488's are awesome diodes with an Aqua beam they can do a setting of 275mA but I like to keep them closer to threshold .
So around 150/175mA and they can be focused with a regular acrylic lens the divergence is great.

I have one 575nm module stashed for a future build just need the time to see what I want to do with it.
Rich:)

Last edited:

GSS

This is 488 built for me by Lifetime17..

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_131946.jpg
    IMG_20191002_131946.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20191002_132611.jpg
    IMG_20191002_132611.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 12

Encap

Pyramid:
Have a look here at O-Like. They are reliable sellers/suppliers.
They offer pretty much everything you that is going to be within your low budget/price range in laser pointers.
See: http://www.o-like.com/index.php

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Was your 488 spectrod Peter? If so what wavelength is it and what colour would you call it? I recently got a 491 and was surprised by how much green was in it. I know our eyes do differ however.

I measured many of these diodes from Sharp and the ones below 488nm seemed to be ~20%. Those are the ones that still look blue to me. In total I believe I measured ~30 of these diodes, so I can't say that my experience is necessarily representative of what you will get. But, it is worth mentioning here.