Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DMX Switches Help

Has anyone got a laser projector that has a DMX control switch on it? The little switches numbered 1 to 10 that have already been pre-programmed?

Reading the guide for my scanner it says if I change the channel to number 2 then I can select each pre-programed animation myself. does anyone know how to switch channel or do I need a DMX controller box or something?

Things

I am the man to ask about DMX, i am a lighting technitian and use it every weekend! ;D ;D ;D ummm usually switch 10 and 9 select between auto and sound mode, but the rest are purely for DMX, there is no way to "choose" a pattern without a DMX controller ;) hope that answered your question?

things said:
I am the man to ask about DMX, i am a lighting technitian and use it every weekend! ;D ;D ;D ummm usually switch 10 and 9 select between auto and sound mode, but the rest are purely for DMX, there is no way to "choose" a pattern without a DMX controller ;) hope that answered your question?

Ah right ok... Instead of buying a DMX controller would there be some program I can download and do it all from my computer?

The scanner I have has been set up slightly different to as you say. If I turn switch 1 on and all other off it goes into a sort of demo mode that goes through the hundreds of effects programmed into it one by one. If I turn all switches off then sound mode comes on... although I must say the microphone is rubbish. If a switch is knocked that is between switches 2 to 9 then I get welcome projected on the wall.

for sound mode you need to add a mic, as it does not come with one.

if you work out how to use the switches you can select each frame

andy_con said:
for sound mode you need to add a mic, as it does not come with one.

if you work out how to use the switches you can select each frame

You sure? There is a microphone attached that if you whistle it changes the pattern or if you put it right up to a VERY loud speaker it will change. But thats what I mean its not a very good microphone.

oh they must have changed it, it never used to have a mic on it.

andy_con said:
oh they must have changed it, it never used to have a mic on it.

Yeah, it comes with a microphone and a sensitivity control for it.

great then

do a google search there must be some instructions on how to work the dmx

Things

you have to buy a DMX "box" if you want to run it from your computer, or a DMX board for manual control. I bought the DMX box, which is basically a USB to DMX converter (no you can't just hook usb to dmx lol), but i don't use it just for the laser, i have other lighting effects that use it ;)

My Lanling CL16 has a microphone. I added line input to mine so it runs independent of volume.

Mike

Ds1

Hey I know this isnt exactly laser stuff but I'm working at a church installing 4 Chavet Q Spot 575's and using an Elation DMX to USB interface with Elation software....but its not working.... and it needs to be done by this Sunday... I think it might be a broken interface though which sucks :'( but anyway the point of the story is that we are using one of those programs with interface to control our DMX lights.... also, you could use a DAC and there is some decent free laser software (look up norms homemade laser show on google)

Things

well i haven't tried elation, so i can't help there, but i have heard of the Q spots, nice lights they are! are the lights getting any signal? i know with most DMX lights, they have a little led that flickers if there is a DMX signal? what is the problem? the lights don't do anything? they work, but not well?? you could try making a DMX tester, and stick that at the end of your chain, that will let you know if you ar getting anything. actually the lights might output DMX to each other, so try it right on the DMX box if possible. Are the dipswitches on the spots set properly for DMX control? let me know some more info, i maybe i can help abit more ;)

things said:
you have to buy a DMX "box" if you want to run it from your computer, or a DMX board for manual control. I bought the DMX box, which is basically a USB to DMX converter (no you can't just hook usb to dmx lol), but i don't use it just for the laser, i have other lighting effects that use it ;)

Yeah, just found that out at work.

Found a USB DMX controler but its £285... Going to look around for more.

you can get a DAC for that.

save your money, your better off with a DAC

Ds1

Thanks Things, i'm going to try to test the DMX output of the interface today. Also the funny thing is is the computer recognizes the interface being plugged in and the drivers are installed correctly, but the elation software is not recognizing it and the lights don't do anything when in DMX mode with the DMX addressed correctly.

and yeah definitely go with the DAC... you can get them real cheap with free software too.

Things

well maybe you have to configure the software?? as i said, i have never used elation, i use lightfactory, so i don't know much bout that software.