Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DMX Controller Software/Hardware Advice for Reke 500/1000

I have both a reke 500 and 1000 and I am sick of the preprogrammed paterns that came with it. I have seen some pretty cool animations done on these machines such as Mr. Vain Laser Show - Reke 500RGB (Show Created by WhiteG) - YouTube.

I have read through the forums and noticed that a lot of the posts are bout 4 years old on the subject so I wanted to get an updated thread going. What I am looking for is the correct DMX controller software and hardware to program/run these machines. I don't mind spending the money to buy the right products to make it as easy as possible for me to work this but am open to free software solutions as well.

Something I will also mention, is I would prefer a software that has a number of shows already pre-programmed for download as I am lazy :).

I think what you are after is not really DMX but an ILDA based solution. Depending on what your budget is, you have a few options. The only one I have experience with is Pangolin FB3 (hardware) and Quickshow (Software). It's not cheap, but if you want a good deal on these send Hakzaw1 a private message.

He is a US based reseller.

You didn't fill in location on your profile, so I'm just taking a guess that you are in the states. This is an international forum so having that part of your profile can help us help you find the right people for your part of the world.

Things

Yeah, you're after an ILDA controller if you want to create custom patterns. DMX will just allow you to control the inbuilt ones.

What you are looking for is laser light show software, and an ILDA DAC to drive your projector.

It is pretty widely accepted that Pangolin's QuickShow bundled with the FlashBack3 DAC is easy to use and is cost competitive. It costs about $600 for the bundle, but an LPM member sells it for around $500.

There are lower cost solutions. When I bought my REKE projector from another forum member, it came with iShow and their DAC. The consensus with iShow is that it is terrible software and a crummy DAC. I totally agree. But iShow costs under $100 with a DAC. I can't wait to get better software and a better DAC to see what my projectors can really do.

I now know I need QS with FB3, or something close to it. I am favoring LSX with an Etherdream DAC, in the same cost bracket as QS.

Regarding DMX, I have read it's possible to use DMX to choose and cycle through images already stored in the projector. But DMX is NOT capable of sending graphic drawing information to the projector. You need to use the ILDA interface, for that.

I agree with QS recommendation! Excellent beginner software...chock Full of animations and still frames to project as soon as you hook up the ilda cable ...AND...when you purchase QS...you have access to the QS Showspace which has a BUNCH of QS shows (just add music). Do research...You can download a QS demo (no laser output) at QuickShow homepage.
Best deal here in the states is via Hakzaw1 Laser Pointers - View Profile: hakzaw1

I use QS with my reke500 and now my LK-PD2 "Linny"
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/hak-style-gb-lk-pd-2-0-500mw-rgb-projector-81380.html

LSX with Dac also creates some incredible stuffs...see swamidog: new abstract LSX show for SELEM "We Are Shangri-La"

In Fact...Anything by swamidog is worth watching...makes me dream of LSX someday...but QS in hand today!

Last edited:
thanks for the compliment on my shows ;)

btw, LSX + a dac is cheaper than FB3//QS. there's more of a learning curve, but it's more powerful and less expensive.

I agree with QS recommendation! Excellent beginner software...chock Full of animations and still frames to project as soon as you hook up the ilda cable ...AND...when you purchase QS...you have access to the QS Showspace which has a BUNCH of QS shows (just add music). Do research...You can download a QS demo (no laser output) at QuickShow homepage.
Best deal here in the states is via Hakzaw1 Laser Pointers - View Profile: hakzaw1

I use QS with my reke500 and now my LK-PD2 "Linny"
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/hak-style-gb-lk-pd-2-0-500mw-rgb-projector-81380.html

LSX with Dac also creates some incredible stuffs...see swamidog: new abstract LSX show for SELEM "We Are Shangri-La"

In Fact...Anything by swamidog is worth watching...makes me dream of LSX someday...but QS in hand today!