Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DL Spartan Disassembly Guide. Pics

Nexgen

Hello all, today I wanted to disassemble my Spartan 200mw@532nm. So here are some pictures of disassembly.
Warning: If you are going to disassemble laser, warranty will be removed! And if you scratch something you will damage output. Do this at own risk!

Laser itself:
xFpWSX.jpg

Tools needed: Screwdriver, Two Thin ~1mm Screwdriver heads and something you can turn them with.

lzTZfD.jpg

If you unscrew top cap you will see a lens and module holder, be careful at this step because you can easily scratch your lens.

oarvnF.jpg

Txqx5a.jpg

CrHmm8.jpg

Module focusing lens:

cYzF6y.jpg

Here’s the module itself and a 18650 battery for comparison.

o4LDRA.jpg

Markings on module:
N429
>250mW
1600mA

Current adjustment pot:

MI9QEh.jpg

Module inside:

hXb9mZ.jpg

REyfHl.jpg

C-Mount diode is visible. Crystal is between two metal plates.

Module testing field:

YmtvY4.jpg

LED:

J4J7kt.jpg

Consumption at 4v:

Ns3J0y.jpg

GREEN BEAM: :beer:

RsmBLI.jpg

Thats all for short review of Spartan inner parts. :na: :yh:

BTW can I adjust current a bit with pot? :yh:

Last edited:

GSS

Wow Nexgen, i'm impressed with the inside's and for you taking it apart:)
What's the reason for the dual drivers?
Also whats the average price on this Spartan?

Last edited:
Thank you for the pix, nice. What output power did you measure? Under or over 200 mw?

Last edited:

Nexgen

Thank you for the pix, nice. What output power did you measure? Under or over 200 mw?

I don’t have LPM to measure exact power but I guess it’s over 250mw.

I have requested price from CNI for same module but 800mw. Its PGL-H. Waiting for response.

Great tear down. Wish you had an LPM to measure the optical power with. You can guess all you want, but until you measure it you can't know. Wonder if it mode hops. These little modules tend to do that as the power increases. You could probably see it if you use a lens to spread the beam out a bit. + rep.

Last edited:

Nexgen

Same 800mw price, lol. Didn’t expect it would be that much. Can anyone answer me, if I replace pump diode with higher power diode, slap new driver or increase current on this one, will it work?

m16jS6.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC from pulling apart the 638nm spartan I had, It was one driver split between 2 boards from the looks of it. I don't have the focus or determination to reverse engineer circuits though. I know I also wished there was an optic plug on those hosts to take advantage of that red indicator LED that goes to waste in these hosts.

This thread got a +REP from me.

@nexgen
While you could increase the drive current via that potentiometer, I advise against it. Those numbers wrote on the side are there from CNI when the module was assembled, aligned, and binned. My Laserglow aries has the same markings on it and in my case, the module was rated much higher than the unit was being driven to. That was was driven to 22mW yet had the specs and rating wrote on the module for >75mW.

Really makes me wish I had taken apart my 589nm spartan to see just how hard DL was pushing those poor things or how badly they overrate the output power.

Nexgen

I also exposed DL’s 589’s as they use module that can’t exceed 30 mw, they use PGL-VI. The most interesting is that they use this module in their 50mw version. Kinda weird. So they are just scammers.
See this module? They use this in 50 mw version:
ep4jEk.jpg

Last edited:

GSS

Thanks to Cynical, I did not know that LED light was hidden:undecided:
Why it couldn't be that hard to line up a hole on the host?