Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DL 589nm 5mW: Aurora vs Spartan

Ok guys. I am ordering my 589 on Christmas day. ***EDIT- since decided to go with the 50mW version, it'll probably be a while into January before I can get it. I need some more money! endEDIT*** I am absolutely certain that I want the 5mW version regardless of host, largely because I often use my lasers actually as pointers. 15-20mW (viable with either host) of over spec yellow would command a presentation, 100mW would probably be annoying to those viewing the presentation.

In all regards, I actually favor the Spartan. Better looking, heavier, sturdier, better barttery, better heat dissipation, etc, etc, etc. However, my main problem is the lack of momentary on for it. Is there a way around this, or will I be stuck with the Aurora?

Last edited:

Having anything more then 5-15mW's of 589nm/593.5nm in a pen host will cause it to quickly overheat unfortunately.

If you want more run time, get the Spartan or take the module out, and put it in a better heatsink. Pen's just are simply not made to effectively transfer heat for long periods of time :)

-Alex

Last edited:
I wonder what the fabricators on the forums think about creating a momentary switch tail cap for the Spartan? How difficult or not would this be to make and would it be worth the cost?

Having anything more then 5-15mW's of 589nm/593.5nm in a pen host will cause it to quickly overheat unfortunately.

If you want more run time, get the Spartan or take the module out, and put it in a better heatsink. Pen's just are simply not made to effectively transfer heat for long periods of time :)

-Alex

My thoughts exactly!

Didn't CNI used to offer a momentary tail cap for the Spartan host a while back? I might have to send them an email...

I wonder what the fabricators on the forums think about creating a momentary switch tail cap for the Spartan? How difficult or not would this be to make and would it be worth the cost?

If I couldn't get one from CNI, that is probably my best bet. I can't help but wonder if a tactical remote button from a Surefire flashlight or similar might not be an alternative as well.if it has the remote activation button, that would be perfect for the meetings while I can use the clicky when I'm being a nerd.

Last edited:

if this was a possibility i would totally be grabbing a spartan, i actually just emailed dragon lasers about a spartan/aurora with momentary on switches.

Last edited:
Wow, that was an excellent review! Another solid checkmark for the Spartan. I didn't really realize how large they were either. Impressive.

I imagine that I'll be able to figure out SOMETHING for the momentary on with this thing. The more I consider the Spartan, the less I'm starting to care about the momentary on.

Do you guys suspect that the 5mW Spartan is the same internally as the 50mW but with a less efficient DPSS process, or is it simply a weaker pump?

Wow, that was an excellent review! Another solid checkmark for the Spartan. I didn't really realize how large they were either. Impressive.

I imagine that I'll be able to figure out SOMETHING for the momentary on with this thing. The more I consider the Spartan, the less I'm starting to care about the momentary on.

Do you guys suspect that the 5mW Spartan is the same internally as the 50mW but with a less efficient DPSS process, or is it simply a weaker pump?

Weaker pump. Both Spartan use the 589nm DPSS process, and in theory the efficiency is the same due to the same type of host.

The only way a DPSS efficiency will be different is if you compare it to a labby which comes with extras to keep the process as efficient as possible :)

-Alex

Weaker pump. Both Spartan use the 589nm DPSS process, and in theory the efficiency is the same due to the same type of host.

The only way a DPSS efficiency will be different is if you compare it to a labby which comes with extras to keep the process as efficient as possible :)

-Alex

Well, yeah. Thank you for the feedback. Thats what I was hoping to hear! Let me clarify what I was trying to say:

I know its the same process, what I meant was does DL take their seconds from CNI and just sell them as a lower power output. In the same way that LG and others take their 473s, 594s and 532s of various output efficiencies and sell them as different models (Rigel-2 and Rigel-5 for example), when we know that CNI only made one model of pen in 594, but LG markets exceptional examples at a higher price.

That's what I was trying to figure out. CNI doesn't seem to acknowledge their yellow "Spartan" hosts on their page, so I can't glean any information from them.

If the lower power Spartans are in fact "dud" versions of the 50mW lasers (unlikely though that may be) that are the same in every way except output, I don't really want one. The powerful ones seem to have their instability issues based in heat dissipation. If a weaker laser is a less efficient example of the same laser that constitutes a 50mW version, I'm not interested. Battery longevity and avoiding the heat-based stability issues are important factors to me in getting this laser. I expect (and hope) that they are in fact powered by a different and weaker pump, but I'm seeking clarification on the issue. I've also reached out to Dragon about this, and BruceMir who has the 5mW Spartan.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. :/

Edit-
the Spartan 589nm can and has run for 30 minutes and will not overheat...see thread below

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/dragonlasers-spartan-50mw-589nm-91535.html

Thanks for the link! That was actually incredibly useful.

It was also interesting to see the Spartan next to the Aurora. I was shocked at the size difference:

100_0510.jpg

Last edited:
CNI does not call the host a Spartan but do make it. Look at CNI site and check their 447 handheld you'll see the spartan host but call it a PGL III M

CNI does not call the host a Spartan but do make it. Look at CNI site and check their 447 handheld you'll see the spartan host but call it a PGL III M

Thanks! I meant that I couldn't find the info on the 589 in the Spartan from CNI. As we all know, Dragon is just a reseller and I wad searching CNI for technical specs. :)

If you actually need the laser as a pointer the pen host is the better choice. Being used as a pointer it won't overheat (I know this from experience) and having to hold the Spartan host to turn it on and off repeatedly will make your hands uncomfortable and look weird.

I think the Spartan is called a PGL-M by CNI, but I'm wildly out of touch these days..

to clarify my last post they sent an email to me they no Longer sell Aroura 589nm at 10mW

Last edited:
Yeah, that's true, I wanted to compare the prices, atm I got a Cni quote of 340usd+75 for freight, idk the cost For dragon lasers but looks cheaper atm.

If I were to drop coin on a 5mW Spartan, what do you all think my chances are that it'll be wildly overspec like the typical 50mW version?

Wildly overspec for a 5mW laser would be peaking 15 to 20 mW, right in the ballpark I'm looking for. 70-120 like you 50mW guys are seeing is just too much imo.