Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Titanium Flashlight - A - WIP

sinner

I bought a small rod of surplus aero-space titanium a while ago (1.1" x 6") to make a tiny flashlight host for pocket carry, I ended up using the entire rod to make a 18650 host, which goes according to my calculations exactly 2-3mm larger than what is needed, so over the weekend I did manage to get the first portion of the titanium body finished.

JknlXFx.jpg

2h145fX.jpg

aTnm0Nm.jpg

Ene6c8m.jpg

It was a good weekend for me :D now the body is bored 19mm to fit the battery(unprotected), I am waiting on new parts to make a custom drop-in and design the exterior work so I can resume working on it.

Next Steps:
- Pill machined from copper.
- Installing the custom drop-in module.
- TailSwitch Parts
- Milling (exterior)

:thanks: for looking :beer:

Last edited:

kilter

Titanium is awesome, reminds me of that titanium host that Jetlasers sells.

sinner

It is a real bitch to machine, even with the hss t-15 you need a wicked sharp tool and not too fast, keeping it cool since its combustible/fire hazard.

sinner

It is definitely the most amazing material out there, it's about twice as strong as steel but 60% lighter, But it's very hard to work with.

Thanks for sharing the anodizing article, It looks simple enough and it's quite easy than anodizing aluminium. I'll definitey give it a try.

I wear titanium everyday! Coolest material for a ring I could think of. Also have a bunch of it on my dirtbike. Weight to strength ratio is amazing with this stuff