Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY PCB makers:  Great bits for drilling holes

rkcstr

Wasn't sure where I should post this, but thought this forum was the best fit...

With all of the holes I drill in the PCBs I make, I noticed that the little bits I had that came in a micro drill kit get dull really quickly and don't make the best holes (and sometimes would lift pads  :mad:).  I didn't know that most places typically use tungsten-carbide bits for drilling PCBs because of their durability and strength, so when I found this out I tried finding some.

This place is where I went with:
http://www.drillbitcity.com/
or http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/ (they're both the same place, but this one offers 5pc of same size bits).

The prices seemed great so I ordered some (the new carbide ones, though I've read good things about the resharpened ones too).  After some mishap with the Postal Service (took em over a week to deliver across 2 states!), I got them in, and DrillBitCity was very good about looking into the problem and offering to send them again.  They're great! (as Tony the Tiger would say, lol)

They drill VERY quickly, make very clean holes (no burrs), and so far have held up much better than the previous (I'm guessing steel) bits.  HIGHLY recommended for anyone drilling their own PCBs.

I just use a Dremel tool with these, but I actually had to turn the speed down compared to my previous bits because these things drill SO FAST!  And, these are also much easier to load in dremel than the usual tiny bits since they have 1/8" base and a cool little collar that has the size marking.

I'd definitely recommend the bits and the company!

IgorT

Re: DIY PCB makers:  Great bits for drilling

Interesting, thanks!

You always have good info!

Re: DIY PCB makers:  Great bits for drilling hole

Yeah, it's a problem with that fiberglass... it really dulls those metal bits. I've heard that you need diamond-tipped ones for extensive work, but those tungsten ones may last you.

rkcstr

I haven't seen any diamond-tipped ones, I'm thinking they'd be expensive too.

I just use a single size for my boards, so I bought a 5 pack of the same size, which was less than $12 shipped. I haven't drilled a ton of boards yet, but with the regular bits, I could get about 2-3 boards (8-12 holes) that were really nice then it would still work, but the hole would have a small lip around the hole like the bit was puncturing/pushing rather than cutting. So far I've drilled about 30-40 boards (90-120 holes) and they've all been nice and the bit still looks and feels sharp.

I'll post up when they start to get dull.

What size did you purchase ? CMD