Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY MiniMag Mod Guide

Daedal

Are you really thinking of powering up a BluRay using direct drive from batteries? I refuse to sell you then! :mad:

Considering the amount of warnings everyone here has heard about the sensitivity of these diodes and how extremely easy it is to fry one of these... if you really are trying to drive it using batteries... you might as well toss it in the trash before you even plug it in... that way it may live longer... ::)

Honestly... diodes in all should never be driven directly from batteries, and the fact that an extremely sensitive one is even being though of being driven as such is truly disappointing.

Either way... I don't have you on my list... so I am not sure if you have one coming your way from me or not (I have 2 unidentified buyers), but if you do happen to be getting one... good luck to you and your diode. ;D You'll both need it. But don't ask my why it didn't work ::)

--DDL

no i am not talking about hooking them up directly to the batterys
i was asking if thaose batteys would supply enough power to run a driver along with the blueray diode
i did not buy any as i am w8ing for the red GB droids to come from Senkat
i kno im not ready to make a blueray laser yet, i was only suggesting these give more power

Gazoo

Any good pair or rechargeable lithium batteries would be perfect to use with Daedal's circuit.

Daedal's circuit requires a minimum of 6volts right? so can i use 4 AA's since each battery is 1.5volts?

AA's are more common than lithium batteries, and easier for me to get.

is this set-up alright? (i drew the picture, its the best i could d0)

Attachments

• lasr_circuit.JPG
    lasr_circuit.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 114
Ok, so I'm very new to this site, but I've already built a similar laser (yes, the one from kipkay.com, I hear hes not very well liked around here).
Anyway, regarding "Burning out the diode at any moment"... that kinda seems like a problem. What could one do, in a model like this, to avoid said destruction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gazoo

Timextoxlive,

Welcome to the forum...you have a lot of reading to do... ;) For the 2 cell minimag...it is recommended to use a 47uf 16 volt capacitor in parallel with the diode, and a 2.2 ohm resistor in series. This will supply appx. 160ma's to the diode using 2
alkaline batteries. This is all assuming you buy a group buy diode. The capacitor will help prevent voltage spikes. All in all, this is the bare minimum needed to protect the diode but will not be as good as using a current regulator.

Thanks Gazoo. I'm thinking I'm going to just disassemble mine and build Kenom's Mini Dorcy instead. sounds like I'll be better off in the long run. From what I understand, the Dorcy has these diode-protecting elements built in?
Thanks again. :)

Daedal

That's an excellent plan :)

Glad you decided to go with the safer choice here ;)

--DDL

Thanks.
Anyway, im definately going with the dorcy design. :)
Is this the right model Dorcy?
dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414282

If not, what is?

Kenom

that particular dorcy is not the one I used. you can find a nice guide on how to make a laser into it here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1189045662;start=all
steve texas is making some very nice lasers out of this host.

I know that daedal also is making lasers out of this host but doggoned if I can find the thread.

anyway, the dorcy jr that I am using is no longer suitable without modification. It requires additional resistors to drop current down to a more reasonable rate and a diode to protect against spikes. So, I've moved on from the dorcy jr.

Well, I burned out my first diode. Not for the reasons you're thinking....
In an effort to turn off the laser, I inadvertantly twisted the pins..thus, I assume shorting the diode.
I believe this build would be better by modifying the reflector to turn the diode on and off (as it does the flashlight...)
Thanks for peaking my interest.
Daedal, I really enjoy reading about your projects (even though I know less than nothing about electronics).
resistors, capacitors, and the such make my head start to swim. :eek:

what do u think the risk is for the diode to burn out? and is is possible to fit a potentiometer into the minimag? i tried this mod once but the laser wouldn't turn off by spinning the top of the minimag and trying to fix it, I broke off both pins of the diode. :'(