Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY MiniMag Mod Guide

what is the risk of frying the diode? can frying it be prevented by turning it on for short amounts of time, like 10-20 seconds?

JECS

depends what it is that fries the diode. a 9v will fry it almost instantly so turning it off after a short amount of time isnt an option. if you dont have proper cooling then turning it off before it gets too hot will keep it alive. the more you pump in the less time you will be allowed to keep it on for unless you have like tec cooling or something. these diodes are rated at about 75celcius. i dont know if they include a bit of safety in there or not but you wont want it to get that hot anyways. get a heatsink on it and if you have a multimeter with a temperature sensor on it see how long it takes for it to get around 50 degrees and that should be pretty safe amount of time to keep it on. you should also make a note of how long it takes to get back to base temperature.

Gazoo

Why are you posting he same question in different threads.. ::)

stackingmount, even if you do keep it on for only 20 sec at a time you still have a great chance of frying it, there is no capacitors to filter out the spikes from the batteries, and they almost always will give to much current to the laser so it would not last very long at all. If your lucky this could last a week at the maximum but its not likely that it will even last that long.

..lazer...

When I ground out the inside of the reflector so the diode would fit (I don't know where to find that rubber thing they were showing), it no longer was long enough to apply the necessary force to the plastic plate when the top was screwed all the way down... anyone have any suggestions? I also kept the driver from the original diode and cut a section of the back of the housing to keep screwed to the top to protect the board.

On another note, I set everything up BEFORE pulling out the diode that came in the housing to make sure I could make things work and not waste the intended diodes. I was successful in everything except getting the original diode out... it won't budge... Like, if I had a vise, it would be in there and I would have attempted a couple of well placed whacks with a hammer and nail...

So I got everything set up and going... new diode in the housing... circuitry... and then I fire it up and focus the laser... and nothing. The diode I got is supposedly rated at 250mW but it obviously isn't going to push that much... at least 100mW though right? Well... I can't get it to light matches... even sharpied... black tape was a bust too.... :mad:

I am pretty sure I can fit a 47uf cap in parallel directly soldered to the diode, and then maybe a 1 ohm resistor in series with it, if I did this will it protect the diode better than just direct current?

laser.jpg

Bump added pic for visualization