Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

DIY Homemade laser diode driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump, it looks good in the pictures... let us know what you get on the test load.

What's your input voltage?
What's your output voltage?
Is your current looking good?

:)

GL;
DDL

DDL I have 5 Ohms across the adj. and a 10 Ohm test load and the results are: Output 2.34v and 208 ma

You should be getting closer to 250ma's. What is the voltage of the batteries with the load applied.

The regulator is beginning to drop out. You really need a minimum of 6 volts for it to regulate properly...this explains why you are not seeing 250ma's.

The formulas are 1.25/ohms = current.
1.25/current = ohms.

1.25 is the reference voltage the regulator uses and you should always see that voltage between the output and adjust pins of the regulator. ;)

Should i use a 9 volt then

or will the drop be less with the diode since i am using a 10 ohm load now

i just tried a silicon diode instead of the resistor for the load and got 250 ma but the out voltage was over 5.

Don't use those little square 9 volt batteries as they will not power it for long and are not made to deliver high currents.

If it was me I would get a 6 AA or AAA battery holder. You could use Alkaline or Nimh batteries and it would a no muss no fuss solution. Or you could use a pair of AA li-ion batteries.

At 5.3 volts, I the regulator will be out of regulation with the GB diode hooked up. I know this isn't what people want to hear but others have had problems even using a pair of CR123's. The voltage sags to the point the regulator begins to drop out.

stump56 said:
i just tried a silicon diode instead of the resistor for the load and got 250 ma but the out voltage was over 5.

Because you are not putting enough of a load on it. A silicon diode has about a .7 volt voltage drop. You need 4 silicon diodes hooked in series to simulate appx. what a GB diode will pull.

what type of li ion AA Will the energizer type work i thought they were 1.5 volts apiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back