Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Cheap IR Laser Pen For $5 and Under.

^Thanks Buddy.:)

I also want to say that you can also Use other diodes for this Mode.:) It does not have to be IR.

It makes for a fun project.

However i would personally not put anything over 150mW-200mW in here.

I actually kind of *want* to put a high-powered 445 in this, like 1-1.3W or so. Of course duty cycle would be something like 10s on, 60s off, but who cares? It would be awesome to see that bad boy coming out of a little tiny pen. Plus, it could do it, because with a buck driver and ~8V, I am guessing that two 10440s *could* provide the current to get it that high.

Well I dont think that is possible.

The Lens that comes with it is acrylic and i dough it can withstand anything of that power.

The only way i see you getting a build like that in here is if you do a custom heatsink that can accept a better lens.

Last edited:
The Size of the lens is not your standard lens. Remember it is a cheap laser so just about all cheap laser use those very small lenses. ~4mm.

I dont think they make lenses that small in glass and i dont think a 445nm divergence is good enough to fit properly on that lens if they do, due to the wide beam.

Adapter time, anyone? Maybe we could just chop off the end of this thing and glue an Aixiz module on it? How is the size comparison? Haha.

It cannot be done unless you want it to look Goofy.:) The Aixiz Module diameter is too big.

This is a thin pen. A few mm larger then a 10440 battery is.

You might be able to think the Aixiz Module down to fit in there but i dont know how this the walls will get in doing this.

Its simply not worth trying to put a High Power 445nm in here. But if you can do it, then more power to you.:beer:

jeffd

Nice tutorial! Very creative.

+rep'd for encouraging safety. Im sure there a bunch of uneducated people that think since you cant see the dot or beam, it isnt dangerous...

:thanks: Yes That was my main goal. SAFETY, with this build. All laser are dangerous, but it all just depends on the user, but IR laser IMO are more dangerous due to not able to see the dot beam etc. Even Reflection. You wont know until its too late.

I hope those that even think about getting or building an IR laser Really know what they are doing and have the proper safety equipment "IR LASER SAFETY GOGGLES" to use the laser properly.

This same thing goes for all laser. I cant stress it enough that you must own the proper laser safety goggles for that wavelength you are viewing.

Safety First then and only them can you enjoy lasers.

I always say to myself that i want to enjoy all my laser for a long time. Its not worth loosing an eye over.

:beer:

So my host came in the mail today!

Anyone know the current on a 300mW 808nm diode? I am going to build an IR diode into this one as well, because I won't be having any expensive diodes sitting in this puppy :p

Wow. I've been kicking around an IR build for awhile and this is perfect. I'm curious as well what you set your driver to for this build?

Well the build coast $5 dollars. What can you expect.;)

I like it alot.