Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY aixiz module

so. i am building myself a laser engraver from 2 old dvd drives.
made my own driver. 3d printer the frame. excetra. Screenshot_34.pngScreenshot_35.png

anyway now i have gotten to the laser module part.
i cannot find anything about making your own laser module. prefferably using the lenses from the dvd drives.
every single youtube video about lasers and such all use aixiz modules.

are there no diy guides for making your own aixiz module (or atleast a heatsink for the diode with focusing for burning)
i don't really mind having to shell out 20 bucks for 10 modules when i only need 1. that's not such a big deal.
the 2 to 3 weeks shipping on the other hands IS a big deal.

if there are no guides to build your own.
can anyone point me to alternatives that might be more readely available.

when i google for a laser module. or laser module blank.
all i get is 5mw lasers. i doubt i can remove the diode from that and then use that as a module/housing/casing. whatever the correct term is.

and anything that looks decent comes with a laser already in it. costing about 20 bucks.
if i have to spend 20 bucks i might aswel buy https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Focu..._expid=d8009d4a-d777-4482-a0d1-306ec762459f-1 and be done with it. in wich case i have no idea what to do with the laser diodes i recovered from 5 dvd burners and cd roms. so that's a couple 50mw infrared lasers and a couple 200/300mw red lasers. and all the optics that came with it.

so basicly what i am asking is. what should i do. it would be a shame to let all of this go to waste
Screenshot_37.pngScreenshot_36.png

this is the strongest diode. and the what to me seemed like the most usefull part.
Screenshot_38.png

i also have a bunch of 303 lasers. from sanwu. and one from warnlasers

Last edited:

and if i am going to buy that 500mw red laser
i could also just use my 1w blue laser module. (not enoegh heatsink though) it's from the O-like laser pointer though. the waterproof one of 50 bucks. so i don't want to sacrifice that. Screenshot_23.png

they gave me no duty cycle. if i have enoegh heatsink does that mean i can keep this thing on indefinatly?

Last edited:
Hi, When you speak about the module are you referring to a 12mm with a M9X0.5 inside thread to hold the standard lens.

Rich:)

i guess here in the netherlands i am just out of luck. i can choose from a 5mw laser. like this https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/las...laser&description=true&sort=p.price&order=ASC
from inside the netherlands with 1 day shipping.
i cannot find any lose laser parts. (like lenses excetra) in the netherlands itself.
anything over 5mw is as illegal.

so can i use a 5mw laser and use it's module. and host. to house my 300mw laser diode.
am i going to have to make something myself.
or is that a bad idea and should i just buy the aixiz modules, or a ready made 500mw laser for engravubg with driver from alieexpress?
(wich would make the laser driver i made myself a waste of time i might ad)

Hi,,
Ok your in luck you need to contact DTR Laser shop there you will find the 12mm copper modules to press in you diode. first you need the size of the diode. 3.8mm / 5.6mm /9mm these are the normal size diodes. once you find out the size you can order them at the site all are 12mm in diameter X 30mm length . you also have a choice of backs full length or half , solid or hollow. To press the diode into the selected module you will need a pressing tool that is also available on the DTR site. And yes he ships international , I been dealing with him for years and all are top quality items. Some 12mm Module you get online are chrome plated brass and do not disperse heat away from the diode that is a must 12mm-copper-modules

Rich:)

yeah no thanks. everything about that website smells like a scam.
the cheap layout.
the change in background from the homepage to one of the product pages. (makes it seem like a completely new site)
but most of all. if you ad something to cart you immediatly end up on paypal. with nothing like and adress or shipping options in sight and already a pay button. (and after close inspection it's us based. wich means i might aswel just order from china. as far as shipping time goes.)

they look like good quality ones. but no thanks. i am not paying 15 dollars for an empty laser module. for that price i might aswel just buy this 64232 or for a bit more, this 64233

the aixiz modules are already almost too high quality for my needs. and you get 10 of them for 20 bucks. (and i think it even has a glass lens)

i basicly just need advice.
1- is there a aixiz module(or alternative) reseller or manufacturer in europe
2- should i just make my own like in that instructable.
3- or if should i just buy one of the lasers above. and save the dvd laser diodes for later

basicly if i have to spend 15 bucks on a copper laser housing. i'd better have a much stronger diode to put in there then a simple 150-300mw red laser diode from a dvd burner. (lets say average 200mw)

to clarify why 15 dollars is such a big deal in this case. (because 15 dollars isn't much i agree.) but the whole machine that i am building atm has not cost me more then 10 bucks.) so 15 dollars for just a laser housing is a pretty bad investment

i had old dvd drives. i already have soldering supply's i have my own 3d printer. the only thing i had to buy so far is an lm317. a couple specific resistors and a potentiometer.

i do know what i am looking for now. and i have given up on local suppliers. i guess there are non. so either alieexpress. amazon or ebay.
and then a (do i even need glass? for less then 500mw) focussable lens, housing for a 5.6mm diode.

i am currently just searching for that. and i am getting around the price range of 5-7 dollars for one. that seems a bit better.
if anyone knows anything even cheaper and based in europe. i'd love to know.

GSS

the cheap layout.
the change in background from the homepage to one of the product pages. (makes it seem like a completely new site)
but most of all. if you ad something to cart you immediatly end up on paypal. with nothing like and adress or shipping options in sight and already a pay button. (and after close inspection it's us based. wich means i might aswel just order from china. as far as shipping time goes.)

they look like good quality ones. but no thanks. i am not paying 15 dollars for an empty laser module. for that price i might aswel just buy this View attachment 64232 or for a bit more, this View attachment 64233

the aixiz modules are already almost too high quality for my needs. and you get 10 of them for 20 bucks. (and i think it even has a glass lens)

3- or if should i just buy one of the lasers above. and save the dvd laser diodes for later
I'm confused??
Are you saying you believe DTR is scam web sight?:rolleyes:
You were probably still in diapers when DTR started here and is one of the top go to guy here:unsure:
Also if you believe a pretty web sight is the sign of a good company you have alot to learn, plus alot of money to lose..

Last edited:

Anthony P

J-Tech Photonics sells engraver diode modules and focus lenses. 500mw is not much of an engraver. DTR is a well respected dealer... Perhaps one of the best anywhere!

the cheap layout.

they look like good quality ones. but no thanks. i am not paying 15 dollars for an empty laser module. for that price i might aswel just buy this View attachment 64232 or for a bit more, this View attachment 64233

First.... DTR is a reputable seller and has shown to be
top notch over the years.. to insinuate that DTR is a
scam will not endear you to the members here.

You should already know this since you have been a
member here since 2013.:unsure:

If your main concern is not quality and you want even
cheaper... get an old brass bolt and drill a hole the size
of the LD you want to use.o_O

Second.... I would suggest that you STOP Quadruple, Triple
and Double posting.
It is considered bad Forum etiquette and is frowned upon.
It is easy to EDIT and ADD to your previous Posts by clicking
the [EDIT] button at the bottom left of any of your posts.

Jerry

I'm confused??
Are you saying you believe DTR is scam web sight?:rolleyes:
You were probably still in diapers when DTR started here and is one of the top go to guy here:unsure:
Also if you believe a pretty web sight is the sign of a good company you have alot to learn, plus alot of money to lose..

it's not that it wasn't pretty. but i don't know anything in this world. no person. no company.
so if someone gives me a link that's not ebay or amazon or something. i am immediatly on guard.
if it then at first glance looks like the standard scam websites. you guys know what i am talking about right.
it has a couple links in the left.
half the images don't work. (wich they didn't for me on DTR either. maybe something with my ad block)

i looked it up on google and got this.
wich did not look that weird to me. but then i clicked on modules.

and the whole layout chances.
there are no more images.
you cannot deny that to someone who does not know they are reputable. that this looks untrustworthy.