Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dissassembling a green laser

blur1

hi all. short time lurker, first time poster.:wave:
my question is:
i'm looking at buying this laser---> https://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Opto200-Portable
can i pull it apart to send to australia?
i have a friend in the u.s.a (new york) that will buy it for me then try to send it in multiple shipments to avoid customs confiscating it.

(laser are illegal here):gun:

could it be pulled apart to the point that it no longer resembles a laser?
which part of it would be the 'illegal" part?

i'm sure the body and battery would not be, so i'd get that shipped first.

i apologise if this has been asked before or in the wrong section.
feel free to move it moderators.
cheers from australia.:beer:

ped

I wouldnt reccoment it for a $500+ laser!

Instantly voids the warranty, and you'll more likely destroy it in the process.

Pet is right, I would not make this, more for a laser a that price.

Risk losing almost $ 600 is a lot of money, if one of $ 30, maybe, but not one of that price.

Dismantled, the illegal part would be the laser diode, I guess.

Last edited:

blur1

then is it easy enough to seperate it down to the diode part?
the diode could be just sent in a box of other random cheap electronic parts to here without 'looking' like a laser.

the parts that 'look' like a laser (the housing etc) would be sent later and separately.

I honestly do not know this laser in particular, but many good lasers can be disassemble with more or less easily, also depends on your ability.

But you have to consider carefully before doing so, and you'll have to mount it again without damaging it.

You have to remove all the DPSS laser module without damaging it, or you destroy the laser, green lasers are sensitive.

And also keep in mind that you'll lose the guarantee.

And finally if you have the luck, and not detect your diode at the customs office.

I think Australian laws are similar to the US. Components aren't illegal to import. Only whole lasers. All in all it's still a risky proposition for a laser of this price and I wouldn't recommend dismantling the 'head' at all or your mostly likely only going to end up with a $600 paperweight. It's not as simple as just putting in a few screws and it works again. aligning high power DPSS lasers is no easy feat to accomplish.

blur1

maybe just the whole head can be separated from the housing then?
this will at least not 'look' like a laser.
if i can get it to just the diode/head separate then i can just send that here separately with other random electrical stuff in a small box.

then send the housing/body and the battery end caps etc later?

I'd suggest making sure to peel all the laser warning stickers from it as well. though to be honest, if it was me, I still wouldn't risk it. There's still a chance some or all of it wouldn't make it to you.

All in all it's still a risky proposition for a laser of this price and I wouldn't recommend dismantling the 'head' at all or your mostly likely only going to end up with a $600 paperweight. It's not as simple as just putting in a few screws and it works again. aligning high power DPSS lasers is no easy feat to accomplish.

Are you sure about this? A good number of high end lasers are just a module screwed into the host. It's the module that you can't take apart, and as far as I know the two parts are legal if shipped separately. I'm not familiar with the RPL so don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was an easy thing to do. Maybe someone more familiar with the laser could chime in...?

All in all I wouldn't recommend it either. Too much money at risk.

blur1

i'm still trying to work out from the pics whether this laser can be taken apart? :undecided:

Attachments

• rpl-425-portable-green-laser-2.jpg
    rpl-425-portable-green-laser-2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 244
  • rpl-425-portable-green-laser-3.jpg
    rpl-425-portable-green-laser-3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 229
  • rpl-green-laser-system.jpg
    rpl-green-laser-system.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 174
  • rpl-laser-head.jpg
    rpl-laser-head.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 157
  • rpl-tail-cap.jpg
    rpl-tail-cap.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 177
  • rpl-with-adjust-tailcap.jpg
    rpl-with-adjust-tailcap.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 200
You need someone who has an RPL to find this thread.
Try adding RPL to the thread title.

Morgan

That looks just like the Viasho hosts. Even down to the off centre battery compartment. If you look at pic #2 you can see a black sticker that covers the break point between the top, ribbed part and the main body. The one that I saw said something like, "Void if broken", and clearly destroys any warantee. There is another break point at the aperture end that may be easier to undo. To do this, get yourself a wad of normal printer/photocopier paper, (about 10 sheets), and place the laser in a large vice with the wad of paper either side so as not to damage the host, (the more sheets the better). Tighten pretty tight and unscrew by holding the head not the body. This should give you access to the insides without breaking the void sticker or damaging the outside. Just be careful.

[EDIT: If there is a lens mounted under the aperture assembly, don't remove it. It should be cemented in with a rubberised material and this should also indicate it is likely to be the better type of module.]

If it is the same construction as the Viasho, (no guarantees here either), and is a high powered module then it can be disassembled as the module is just screwed into the host, as previously said, but it's an awful gamble. I've also seen a lesser host though, very similar design, with a very different module setup that was not easily removed!

Your choice, but risky. If you buy it, post a photo of the inside with the aperture assembly right at the top removed and this will give a better idea of what your dealing with. (My gut says it will be the removable module but if you gamble on that, it's your decision and not my responsibility. I would apologise of course, but that's it! ;) )

Good luck,

M
:)

[EDIT: P.s. Why don't you ask Optotronics if they can ship the parts separately? It'll likely mean they won't guarantee it but at least you know it won't be broken before sending?]

Last edited: