Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Disassembly 571.

Now, i got the 3 of 571and i'll try to disassemble one of them.

Diode mounter was fixed the glue.
So, first we have remove it. it very simple.

slide the cutter knife through the gap to cut and remove the glue. It is triangular in shape and has three adhesive point.

After that, simply open the diode mounter by turning it. It's like opening a bottle cap!

IMG_20210810_182048.jpg

IMG_20210810_183323.jpg

Here. 940nm C mount diode!

The silver body is very tightly bonded with epoxy. Can't open.

But, if you gently heat with a heating gun to soften the epoxy, but not impossible to open. it is very difficult :(

IMG_20210810_183158.jpg

Crystal.
i don't know constituent of it. sorry :(
The crystal is slightly larger than 532nm.

The structure is simple. same as 532nm standard green. This means that... hope that it can be easily converted into a pen type pointer with a little dexterity.

Sowee7

well, im sorry to say this, the crystals are EXTREMELY hygroscopic, i took a few apart of the old ones and new ones (the one you have here) and they all got damaged in around 3 days of air exposure. but they start to get damaged only minutes after you take it apart

well, im sorry to say this, the crystals are EXTREMELY hygroscopic, i took a few apart of the old ones and new ones (the one you have here) and they all got damaged in around 3 days of air exposure. but they start to get damaged only minutes after you take it apart
Really? It very disarpoint issue! :(

Sowee7

yes i know, it is sad, but all the other lasence lasers all have crystals that work fine in air, the only ones that dont are the 575s, thats why they are so tightly sealed

I have several desiccants inside the airtight ziplock anti-static plastic holder for my 574nm laser. Still works fine.

Sowee7

I have several desiccants inside the airtight ziplock anti-static plastic holder for my 574nm laser. Still works fine.
if you dont take the modules apart, it should be fine without need for desiccants

Sowee7

Several people have had these fail over time, so...........
Those are the optlaser modules and very early prototype modules the new ones are completely sealed tightly, Iasence told be that they are working on improving the 575nm laser crystals and they are also working on some new crystals for 589nm laser generation

kecked

Too bad they can’t cvd some coating on them to protect them. Has anyone tried to heat and dry a bad crystal to see if it comes back to life? Wonder if a simple thin coat of clear coat could help? The active part is inside. So long as the coating doesn’t affect the pump it could work.

Sowee7

Too bad they can’t cvd some coating on them to protect them. Has anyone tried to heat and dry a bad crystal to see if it comes back to life? Wonder if a simple thin coat of clear coat could help? The active part is inside. So long as the coating doesn’t affect the pump it could work.
Actually yes, zenodilidon tried it, it does work, but the revived crystal outputs little yellow light and doesn't last long

kecked

It would be interesting to try some annealing. If the process of failure is defects, annealing might bring it back to life. Guessing parameters since no one knows what this is, start at like 200C for 20 min and cool 5C/min and try it. Continue for 6 hours like that. If nothing happens go up 100C and keep trying till it works, crack or melts. Probably need a better ramp profile so it doesn't crack. Maybe a small reflow oven? I don't own one. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work. If this is a defect driven process the annealing might really help. I suspect the crystal will be rather reactive to atmosphere when hot so argon in a quartz tube might be required.

You'd better know how to align the pump correctly before you try or you'll never know if it worked and you just can't align it right.

Too bad the Chinese don't do this kind of work as I bet it would solve their problems.

COATINGS
Maybe CVD coat after an annealing might give higher power tolerance on the pump as defect issues would be less.

plain jane MgF2 passes 940nm as well as the 574nm so just a basic antireflection coating would do it. Maybe add 574nm HR coating and 940nm OC coating then MgF2 the whole structure.

A second type of coat would be a hydrophobic coat like a teflon. Excludes hydrocarbons too. These are all off the shelf bread and butter concepts. I post them here hoping they might see them....if these truly are the issues.

All I want are good 100mw 1mRad 10khz Modulation capable 1mm @ aperture lasers 575-580nm. Now an 80mhz qswitched/cavity dumped 1ps job would really rock too but that is a pipedream. Until then pink fingers and a dye laser.