Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode soldering

Nae K

Anyone have an opinion on soldering this wire to a laser diode? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11367 I've been testing how flexible it is and I saw something from DTR stating he uses a pretty flexible 26 gauge wire, although this is 22 Gauge anybody have experience with it? Thank you

That's solid core wire - Forget about it. Solid core wire is not remotely flexible. You should look for multi-core wire with a very high strand count (and ideally silicone insulation). That's what DTR uses - the wire gauge only tells you how much copper you've got - it says nothing about how it's arranged and how compliant and flexible the wire will be.

If you bend a piece of solid core wire back and forth - it will snap. Multi Core wire does not do this.

Nae K

That's solid core wire - Forget about it. Solid core wire is not remotely flexible. You should look for multi-core wire with a very high strand count (and ideally silicone insulation). That's what DTR uses - the wire gauge only tells you how much copper you've got - it says nothing about how it's arranged and how compliant and flexible the wire will be.

If you bend a piece of solid core wire back and forth - it will snap. Multi Core wire does not do this.
That's what I was thinking too. I just assumed solid wire, thank you for the input. :)

diachi

Grab some of the multicore wire with silicon insulation, super flexible.

I keep several gauges of silicone wire around for my builds. I use the smaller stuff for lower power lasers and the heavier gauge stuff for the higher power ones. The main difference is I can solder the driver to the diode on low power builds and solder the heavy gauge wire to diodes then heat sink my drivers on the higher power builds. When you think about how little wire you need for a build, you don't need to buy a whole spool of it for each gauge.

Yikes! That Amazon link is expensive when compared to some listings I've used on eBay. I carry 26 gauge, 22 gauge, 18 gauge. I always get it in both red and black.