Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode pumped 588 nm laser

The laser, which uses a lithium lutetium fluoride (LiLuF4) host crystal with oxygen-free crystal growth, is an important step toward compact and affordable lasers in the green gap.

Yes, this is a new crystal and we are always looking for those. But, it sounds like the output power is very limited in this particular crystal. Unless I somehow read that wrong.

Yes, this is a new crystal and we are always looking for those. But, it sounds like the output power is very limited in this particular crystal. Unless I somehow read that wrong.

22% efficiency to make yellow and 52% to make green is great and it said it was only limited by the pump power........how did you come up with " very limited output "

---------

Currently, no common laser diodes are available that emit in the “green” gap between about 530 nm and 620 nm (see Fig. 1). However, a continuous-wave (CW) solid-state laser pumped by blue diodes and lasing in the yellow region at 588 nm has now been developed. The laser, which uses a lithium lutetium fluoride (LiLuF4) host crystal with oxygen-free crystal growth, is an important step toward compact and affordable lasers in the green gap.

Scientists at the Center for Laser Materials (ZLM) at the Leibniz-Institute for Crystal Growth (IKZ; Berlin, Germany) grew the new laser crystal and successfully tested its various laser emission lines. Pumped by a 200 mW indium gallium nitride (InGaN) laser diode at 487.5 nm, the laser produced 14 mW at 587 nm (yellow), limited only by the pump power. Furthermore, the laser achieved a 42 mW output in the green region at 542 nm with the same crystal.

The yellow laser showed a slope efficiency of 22%, which is the best performance from any directly yellow-emitting diode-pumped solid-state (DPSS) laser, the researchers say. The green laser reached an even-higher slope efficiency of 52% with respect to the absorbed pump power.

I believe you answered your question. Efficiency aside, the crystal is limited by the amount of pump power it can take.

Is there information this crystal has a pump power limitation which is lower than, for example, KTP?

I believe you answered your question. Efficiency aside, the crystal is limited by the amount of pump power it can take.
That's not how it should read it. Output is dependent upon pump power is how it should be understood.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Obviously the crystal will have be limited by how much pump power it can handle at some point. But this article states it is limited by how much power you can pump into it. I’m intrigued to know a) What wavelengths we could potentially see out of it and b) How much power the crystal can actually handle and c) Does it suffer like KTP for high power applications and is it hygroscopic like LBO etc. BiBO ended up being a great alternative for 473’s but was very expensive. The article suggests that these may become affordable

The article said " Limited ONLY by pump power " not what the crystal will take but ONLY by pump power.

Is there information this crystal has a pump power limitation which is lower than, for example, KTP?

I did not see anything to that effect, actually it said the output was limited ONLY by pump power and the efficiency @ 22-52% is good.

Snecho

This is definitely super exciting. I can't wait to see the results.

I also can't wait if/when we get yellow direct diodes. I can dream can't I?

It really is difficult to predict exactly how long it might be before we see yellow direct diode lasers. It could be in the next ten years, maybe much longer.

I am thinking direct diodes emitting in the green/yellow - yellow

Last edited: