Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Pull, Please Help ID

"Designed for use with two rechargeable RCR123A or disposable CR123A batteries, or a single 18650 battery depending on diode and driver used."

One 18650 battery would work for this, right? I am leaning towards the 1W M140. I've sort of accepted that this project is going to be more expensive than I planned.

Its prolly not safe to view the beam w/out glasses right? Forget the dot.

------------

Those $9 glasses.. do they only cover the low end, or 1064 ir leakage?

Last edited:

A single 18650 would work with the 800mW DTR rig but you would need two batteries for most other drivers.

EDIT: Correction, it would also work with the 1W setup. The only difference to that one is it has a G1 lens instead of the standard aixiz lens. G1 lenses are superior for close range burning because they let more light through but the beam they create expands(called divergence) quicker than the standard lens. The lens he has on the 800mW setup is an aixiz style 3-element 445nm AR coated lens which produces a smaller dot at further distance and a tighter beam and is the most common type of lens used.

Last edited:
Ahh, I see that above 1W the input voltage goes up.

I do wish DTR sold greens.

Beam viewing glasses free OK?

The goggles I link to cover UV(around 300nm) up to a little above 532nm. There is no need to block IR for anything other than unfiltered 532nm lasers since those are the only ones that produce it other than straight up IR lasers.

The reason he doesn't sell greens is there are no green diodes on the open market. All the greens you buy are IR lasers that are converted using special crystals which is why they produce IR.

Also, edited my above post.

Last edited:
1W of 445 is okay to view without glasses in a "controlled" environment. What I mean by that is. Don't be shining it around in a house full of mirrors and coated in tin foil. That would certainly be very bad (see where I'm going here?). Make sure there won't be any people in the room with you who will walk in front of the beam and get struck in the eye.

Basically it all comes down to common sense.

Viewing the dot is fine but I wouldn't recommend burning things without glasses and or "staring" at the dot from like 1' away for extended periods of time.

Glasses merely prevent accidents in the case of an (Oh Sh*t) event. Be aware of your Surroundings and take extra special care not to do anything that could cause you or someone else to get hurt.

I'm not telling you not to protect your eyes so don't get the wrong idea here :p. I'm saying if you are comfortable with out the glasses and you are extra careful. Then you really need not worry much.

Either way. Be safe and be careful :)

Um, I don't want to fully contradict that statement but, 1W is still too bright to safely use indoors without protection. The reasons are that the risk of accidental reflection is still far too high and not to mention looking at a 1W dot inside a room is still a damaging brightness. It may not instantly damage like a direct reflection but it WILL accumulate damage and is NEVER good for your eyes. You only have two eyes and the damage is not worth it.

Last edited:
Read your edit. I don't really care about burning as much as I do about a tight beam. Is the divergence very noticeable, like double dot size every 10'?

Why are there no greens on the market? Even the cheaepo 5mW ones are really IR?

IsaacT

Make a beam dump, point the dot into the beam dump, and then behold the beam. It will make the beam seem brighter because it won't be being washed out by the brightness of the dot, it will remove the risks inherent in utilizing your 1W laser indoors, and it will make you feel all legit and stuff. Just NEVER lay a 1W laser on a table unless it is well secured(the laser I mean) because it could roll off and shine in your eyes. It has happened to a member here before.

Isaac

Regarding green wattage: Green lasers are converted from IR lasers, but the process is not very efficient, and thus it requires a very large amount of IR to turn into a bit of 532nm. So your limiting factors are:

1. The IR diode...it can only be so powerful
2. Your crystals...a higher power generates more heat, and if the crystals aren't as good, the heat can cause them to crack or warp.

Last edited:

IsaacT

If you want a nice green I highly suggest it. Jetlasers is an amazing company and their Titanium lasers are magnificent(see my sig). Also, they are being discontinued, so if you want on you should jump on it now.

Ahh screw warranty. This is an expensive toy but a 1W blue laser beam just seams too freakin cool not to buy!

Also, why does my avatar not show up?

So if I buy the parts outlined, its fairly plug and play (meaning soldering), thats all there is to it, yes? No 'current-setting' or anything else, just solder parts together? I'm on beer 3 so if someone responds quickly I'll buy all the parts now! :beer:

Last edited:

IsaacT

If you buy all the parts, then yes, just soldering. But make sure there is enough room in the host for the diode module+driver. I had to take a dremel to mine to get it to fit.

Isaac