Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Graveyard

YGG

1x PHR, killed this one about 20 mintues ago, put the protective barrel back around the driver onto the aixiz module and it twisted the wires and they bend the pin off diode because they twisted the diode, never thought protecting something would destroy your laser. GAHHHH. Just said I got a replacement above and I ended up trashing it, something doesn't want me to have a blu-ray laser.

Not to disrespect the recently departed lasers... but does anyone have dead green modules that they don't want to bother with anymore?

I'd like to experiment with these by removing the dead IR diode and putting in a new diode... I have recently acquired two IR diodes that i'm told can output well over 100 mW of IR. That might be an interesting project.

So if anyone can spare these, i'd be willing to pay a reasonable sum+shipping just to try out if it might work. I'm pretty good at bringing back to life old discarded electronics (especially vintage audio stuff). Anyone had any success reviving a defunct green module?

Robert

Just FYI (and you may already know this) but the IR pump diode in any green laser must be 808nm. A random IR diode is not likely to work. Also, at least 200mW is required to get any kind of decent results.

Hmmm. I'll have to check out the specs of my diodes then. Thanks for the tip though. I still think i'll try the experiment. The worse that can happen is that it won't work. But i'm patient and love to spend quality time in my studio on rainy days.

200 mW is a lot of juice though. I guess a straight IR diode of that power factor with just a collimating lens can ignite paper, right?

Robert

I have a 5mw green module that I pot modded to 370ma and blew some time ago. I decided to take the diode out. To take it out you have to de-solder the driver then locate the two small holes on either side of where the diode sits, I used two small drill bits that fit in the holes tight. Put the drill bits in backwards(tip facing out) and grab them firmly with a pair of needle nose pliers, then just unscrew. Be careful because the diode will just fall out once the retainer is removed. Under close inspection I found that one of the bonding wires had simple burned up in one small spot(this has been the case with just about 80% of the diodes I have blown, the others went COD) . So I ground my soldering tip to the smallest point I could achieve and picked up the smallest amount of solder on the tip I could get. Under an eye loupe I gently touched the solder between the gap in the wire and quickly removed it. I proceeded to re-install the diode and it continues to work fine today. I wonder how many diodes are still perfectly fine out there, Just little solder and there back in business. While it is much harder to repair a broken bonding wire in a closed can diode it can be done by removing the can. I have repaired about seven or eight diodes this way, sometimes it works indefinatly and other times you just get a couple more hours out of it.

SF-AW210 6x died the other day. I noticed the window in the diode was broken. It measured 138mw on a laserbee lpm, IIRC the lavadrive was set at 150ma.

The other SF-AW still lives! 238mw, limited use though.