Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dinodirect violet laser

jethro

I think this laser is related to the one in this post: http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/does-anyone-know-if-dino-direct-any-good-44424.html

So i just received one of these yesterday, at least I assume it's the same one. It's hard to tell since dinodirect calls this blue, the wavelength is green, and the above poster on the previous link referred to it as violet. That laser is/was $79.89.

The one i ordered was Stylish 3V 405nm 200mW Blue Ray Laser Pointer Pen Beam Light Laser Pointer Pen, Blue Laser Pointer Pen, 200mW Blue Laser Pointer Pen - DinoDirect.com and is listed as 200mW, violet, 405nm and I paid $38.99

The item was backordered online so I called them and they suggested some options, but I elected to have them email me when the item was back in stock...and even gave me a discount for my trouble.

I received the email a few days later and at a lower price. I ordered the item on 11/18 and received it on 11/30...not bad considering the shipping was free and it was over Thanksgiving.

The laser came in a case with alkaline batteries (I wish I didn't have to buy batteries from them), that was packed in a padded envelope...seemed to be packed well enough. It did not come with instructions of any sort

The case is reasonably heavy and has a rubberized coating. It seems durable enough, but I wish they had a dust cover...I will try to make one (any recommendations?).

The button required significant pressure to turn/keep it on and seem durable and well fitted to the case.

Batteries fit a loose and rattle around a bit. I'm not sure how to ge the case apart as the business end does not easily twist off or appear to have threads. Is there a procedure for safely taking these apart

This is my first review (recommendations?) and I cannot measure power. The spot is bright I guess, but I have nothing to compare it to. The spot seems distorted from the shiny cap that covers the end of the laser.

I cannot see the beam even in the dark night sky. It this the norm for a 200mW bluray? I'm not sure if this is a high quality diode or if it's a 5mW one that has been "potted up". Is there a way to tell?

It does make many items around the house fluoresce. Bleach, tonic water, and various CRTs. Any other fun UV experiments folks might recommend?

In conclusion, it seems you get what you pay for. The dinodirect people try to be helpful but their laser knowledge is limited. The final product has some quality elements but there is some room for improvement.

Cheers,
Jethro

D

Deleted member 8382

If you can't see the beam even on the darkest night you probably have a 5mW unit. I suggest to turn the pot a bit on it ;)

Also, about things to do with 405nm, search for a thread by Daguin called "strange things of blu ray", or something like that :D

Yours,
Albert

You wouldn't expect to see a 405 nm beam except in fog, unless the beam were multi-watts, as the human eye is relatively insensitive to 405 (even the beam on my 470 mw 8x is invisible). Your laser is probaby on spec. The construction of 405s is simpler than greens (no need for frequency doubling or IR filters) and cheap 405s generally seem to be on or over spec. It may not last you hundreds of hours, but at that price it hardly matters.

One interesting thing you can do is to shine the beam on a ruby. You will see a briliant red fluorescence which is quite different from the usual green/blue given off by most household items. Also, see if you can get hold of some phosphorescent glow-stones or phosphorescent coated paper. A 405 makes them light up like traffic lights and they carry on glowing for many minutes. The paper is fun - you can write on it with your laser!

Last edited:

jethro

Thanks for your note DAVIDDGD

I've been looking online for some phosphorescent paper but it's difficult to find. I saw an art project once with phosphorescent paint and the artist created some impressive images with stencils.

An interesting test video at "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJHstTlR2o"

The newer "super phosphorescent" paints are interesting as they use Strontium instead of the traditional Zinc Sulfide. It's claimed they can glow for up to 12 hours after UV exposure.

A highlighter dipped in water is kinda neat and I hope to builder a scanning mirror shortly. I also experimented with my liquor cabinet...tequila flouresses but vodka and rum do not.

Cheers,
Jethro

Grix

You wouldn't expect to see a 405 nm beam except in fog, unless the beam were multi-watts, as the human eye is relatively insensitive to 405 (even the beam on my 470 mw 8x is invisible). Your laser is probaby on spec. The construction of 405s is simpler than greens (no need for frequency doubling or IR filters) and cheap 405s generally seem to be on or over spec. It may not last you hundreds of hours, but at that price it hardly matters.

This would be true if you ignore rayleigh scattering, but it's not. I can see 100mW' of violet much better than 200mW's of red. It completely depends on the individual eye, I guess you got unlucky on the near-UV area.
Also, it's the same with violet as any other colour when it comes to power on cheap chinese sites. There was a review of a "200mW" unit from focalprice, which turned out to be only 70mW.

You wouldn't expect to see a 405 nm beam except in fog, unless the beam were multi-watts, as the human eye is relatively insensitive to 405 (even the beam on my 470 mw 8x is invisible).

Really? You can't see the beam on your 470mW laser? I have a 160mW blu-ray laser, and I can see the beam easily at night.

It's hard to tell since dinodirect calls this blue, the wavelength is green

Was that a typo or something?? and i would think a 200mW BR would be visible in the nightsky...oh well...if its around 395, 400nm i guess its harder...but...wouldnt it still kinda be possible?? does it burn nicely?? if it really is 200mW u could burn easily lots of stuff...and its an easy test

For fun you can fill a small fish tank (no fish of course) with water and squeeze in some highliter dye (just open a Highliter and remove the cartridge).

If you have a high enough concentration, you will be able to see a fluorescent beam.

For fun you can fill a small fish tank (no fish of course) with water and squeeze in some highliter dye (just open a Highliter and remove the cartridge).

If you have a high enough concentration, you will be able to see a fluorescent beam.

That must be awesome! U should also try this. Get one of those indoors fountains. Those little fountains to use as decor indoors, for example in a little table at the entrance of ur home. and then get water with dye like that, i would advice the yellow one, and if that fountain already has leds in it, replace them with UV LEDs or get a UV light bulb over it...its really cool as well!!:yh:

i know how to program those PIC...id love to do that...it looks really really nice...maybe ill do that one day!!^^