Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did I screw the pooch?

While soldering my microboost to the diode I created a solder bridge. Trying to fix it just made it worse!:banghead: Can someone tell me if the bridge is a catastrophe, or just a cosmetic blemish? Will I need to desolder the diode, clean up the mess and start over?
IMGP0230.jpg

Last edited:

Its not that bad. But you do need to unabridged it. Got a desolder tool? Its like a suction thingy. If not what I do when I accidentally bridge two joints is wipe ALL of the solder off your iron. Make sure its as clean as possible and melt the solder blob and the iron should pick some of it up when you remove it. Mine does at least. Be careful you don't desolder that component right there.

You could use some stripped copper wire and your soldering iron. Basically you are going to tin the copper strings with that solder blob. Do that a couple of times with clean copper strings and clean iron tip and it will remove most of the solder you got blobbed there :D Some flux paste will even make it easier too ;) There is nothing bad as dry solder :D:D

or better than stripped wire if you have some copper braid use that:

714620.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :thanks:

The pooch has been un-screwed. I was able to fix it.

Last edited:
For future reference,
P7090179.jpg

You may notice that the pad is connected to that side of capacitor via light-green traces anyway, along with one side of that rectifier diode there on the right.

So no, you did not need to remove that solder joint.

"Follow the traces"... :na:

LOL seriously?!?!?! :crackup: That was the answer I was originally hoping for.

But, since I didn't have another board to look at I had to assume the worst. I ended up de-soldering the diode from the driver, cleaning up the blob with solder wick, and re-soldering the diode. In the end all that matters is I didn't kill my PL450.

Thanks for the picture and education Eudaimonium!

Yeah, it's good that your laser is working and all.

Besides, never hurts to have some practise in solder wicking and removal, joint cleaning and repair.