Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did I kill it?

I hooked up a Lite-On 12x diode to a microboost set for 500ma, but all I get is a faint purple light, barely visible. It also seems to flicker a little bit. Im hoping its not dead since this is the second one I've tried to get working. :yabbem:

500mA don't seem "HIGH" for that type of diode. I dunno but, doesn't microboosts have SMD caps? And as you said the diode flicker, have you soldered correctly the diode pins and wired the whole thing correctly? Pics / schematics pls.

How did you connect the diode to the driver?
What is your power source?

I'm using a 18650 to power it. I have the positive and negative wired up, and the case pin is going to the negative input on the driver (its a case negative host).

When I was harvesting the diode, i soldered the pins together to prevent static damage while pressing the diode into the module. Afterward, I had a hard time getting the solder all off. I checked the continuity between the case and the negative pin and it was open so I'm pretty sure it wasn't shorted there

Have you soldered in a diode before? it survived? I've killed many with too much heat... I've send a PM to silvershot with some considerations that should be taken in soldering, if you want I can re-send to you too :beer:

Did you use a test load and discharge the caps before soldering ???

Check the output of your driver.
If it is normal, your diode is probably dead.

To protect my diodes from ESD in storage, I don't like to solder the pins together since it adds work and introduces another opportunity for damage from heat.
Instead, I fold a little square of aluminum foil in half then push the pins through it and crumple it into a "ball" on the pins to keep it in place.
It's a nice, heat-free alternative to short the pins.

Ok I'll give that a shot. It could of been heat since getting the solder off was tough and I might have heated the pins up too much. I like your idea RA, I think I'll use that in the future.

I thought I fried my 445 diode last week but to make sure I rigged up a 250ma LM317 based driver to test the diode. Much to my pleasure it lit right up which lead me to check my driver. Turns out I soldered the flexdrive backwards. Wired the driver input side to the diode. :oops: If you have the parts and a supply that can power a DDL diver and the diode it's a simple way to make sure your diode isn't fried.

One last tip make sure you use the right resistor too. In my foul mood thinking I fried a $45 diode forgot that 2x10ohm in series is not the same as 2x10ohm in parallel. Glad I tested the output current of the driver because it looked like the diode had went LED.