Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Delete if you must . . . my neighbor is a machinist . . .

boscoj

a few of you, perhaps . . . remember my post detailing my desire to employ an unused core i7 heatsink as a heatsink . . .

2010-07-09%2010.13.59.jpg

And that I "had access" to a lathe . . .

2010-07-09%2010.27.07.jpg

I knew my neighbor had a lathe and I asked if he would "just drill a 12 mm hole in it" . . . my heatsink . . .

I explained I wanted to make a high power laser to pop corn and blowout Prius tires from 20 feet and instantly we understood eachother.

"just bang it in the lathe and drill the hole." I said . . .

Uhm . . . no . . . he explained . . . it's light, it needs to be true, straight . . .

Therefore the housing must be true and straight . . .

Uhm well . . . . Brilliant neighbor had it sorted well before I told him I was a terrific person.

So he had to find the middle of some thing that wasn't really round . . .

He fastened the sink with clamps on the milling machine bed with some plywood to help stabilize the part . . .

P1000082.JPG

So let's poke around a bit, get some X-Y . . .

P1000084.JPG

Some Z . . . and a touch more XY . . . wow . . .

P1000085.JPG

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNoP . . .

P1000086.JPG

mmmkay . .. this is the middle of this universe . . .

P1000088.JPG

Well now can we drill???

P1000090.JPG

Yes but now we bore . . . . . .

P1000099.JPG

I know a bit about what went on but this guy can divide in his head . . . metric/standard . . .

My i7 sink sunk *perfectly* with an module . . .

P1000100.JPG

via some *brilliant* guy

You arn't seriously going to put that old rayovac body on this HS are you, at least get an old Maglite :p

boscoj

lol at a Rayovac labby . . .

dunno, got alota metal at my disposal . . .

Nice XD

Honestly...this is all those heatsinks are really good for. They sure do a terrible job of cooling a CPU. It's good to know that they actually have a use :p

Cool neighbor! It would like to have such neighbors - my neighbors are more or less afraid about my hobby...

oic0

What was that heatsink from? reminds me of the early 90nm prescott heatsinks intel used back in the day.

The stock heatsink on an AMD Phenom II x6 has 4 heatpipes, while this one only has a copper slug. Strange.

Anyways, that's going to make an interesting light. you SHOULD put it in the Workhorse, that would be sweet!