Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Decently priced orange/yellow laser?

If you're not 100% set on a handheld you can get 594nm HeNe tubes for about $250-300. A power supply can be had for fairly cheap as well especially if you get a DC one that you can run off a wall wart. The downside is they're only usually in the 2-5mw range.

Ill probably consider a HeNe or something of the sort for a different shade of green or orange, but Im more set on portability:
On this note: ordering shortly

If you don't mind paying a lot for shipping, you can order direct from CNI.
Send them an email and ask for a quote on the specific item you are interested in.

I paid $505 shipped for my GLP-589nm 5mW and ended up with 9-11mW on average.

Yellow is going to be one of the most expensive wavelengths that are produced in portable form so no matter what you are going to pay a pretty penny for one.

Personally, I think that the large size of the Spartan (PGL-III-M) is overkill for a pointer of relatively low power.
When spending that much money, you don't want to settle for something you may get tired of.
I LOVE my GLP. Even though the output is a measly 10mW or so, the color totally rocks and its easy to show people because it doesn't weigh a ton and it fits in a pocket no problem.
I know that if I had purchased a larger PGL-III-M or C, the size/power ratio at 50mW or so would have gotten old and I would hardly ever touch the laser.
But I'm more a fan of pen types anyway.

That said, the 50mW Spartan seems like a good deal. Although someone recently posted about one saying that theirs does not maintain 50mW average. Could be a dud.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ive had so many low-powered ones in my time that im in fact sick of them... Heh

Lets hope for the best - still, anything above 30 mW is still a good price for a 589.

SLPbum

Think Ill wait about 6 months.. price has got to come down by then...

Looks like I may be waiting for a bit as well, I strictly do NOT use worldpay. Only paypal... Sent a request to buy it that way, Hopefully they answer in a reasonable time unlike other china-based companies.

You'll be waiting a lot longer than 6 months for the price of yellow to go down much. It will either take an extreme spike in demand (and thus eventually, supply) to do it, or a new technology to appear that's cheaper to manufacturer.

DJNY

Got my new PGL-A-III 589nm this week. The older one had a wing around the dot when looking on it from a close distance. This one hasn´t it as far a you keep the duty cycle to ~1min on/20sec off. I was told by CNI that this 589nm has the highest output possible in relativness to host size/stable output.

My review is here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/pgl-iii-589nm-59010.html#post833622

Laserglow has the same one with max 50-59mW for $1289. I´m asking $850 for the one above.

Anctually DNJY i wanted to ask you about that review, How accurately does your camera pick up 589 nm?

And also im sticking with DL, i'm just waiting for them to answer my e-mail...