Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Decent pen-sized drivers?

Hello folks,

I'm more settled in my new home, and now that I'm (still) unpacking, I've found a collection of old hosts and diodes that I haven't done anything with. I have a handful of unmarked de-canned diodes, another handful of regularly canned diodes, a 1W 405nm, a 505nm or two, and a 488....

With that, I'd like to make a matching set of 488 and 505 pens, but I'm lost with all of the new drivers that have cropped up.

I have two questions:

1) What are some driver recommendations for small pen builds?
2) Of those drivers, which ones work best for case positive and case neutral diodes?

Thanks! Now to find some springs, and a replacement soldering iron on ebay.de ...

I think you'll be fine using the tried and true micro flex drives... I have a 488 in a leadlight using one. I also have another one using one of the astralist drivers in a WL nano host. Admittedly I'm behind on other driver options anymore too

Hi, Yup Flex Drive V5 drivers are well fed into those lower power diodes for pens. Notice they need to be bridged on the resistors for the range difference .
I used these time and again no issues. these a re fine drivers for these applications .
Rich:)

Glad to see the flex drives are still around. I see they're still offered on DTR's shop. I won't even need to build another dummy load since the max on the low end is 100ma, and that just so happens to be perfect for both the Sharp 488 and 505s.

Neat! Thanks y'all!

Glad to see the flex drives are still around. I see they're still offered on DTR's shop. I won't even need to build another dummy load since the max on the low end is 100ma, and that just so happens to be perfect for both the Sharp 488 and 505s.

Neat! Thanks y'all!

Hi ,
I built plenty 488's with the V5's perfect combo running off a single Lithium ion.

Hi ,
I built plenty 488's with the V5's perfect combo running off a single Lithium ion.

Huh...sounds like I'll need to buy some 10440 spacers, or some new smaller hosts.

I wouldn't mind some small powder-coated 1x 10440 hosts, that's a decent aesthetic.