Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DealExtreme Green or Red Laser??

Rob

Thats good to know! I am a fan of dealextreme for its prices so I pretty much always check there first. Do your 100mW units have adjustable lenses? (and does that matter iyo?)

Most pen styles do not have focusable lenses but most of the bigger builds do. Focusable is generally used for burning things but they have other uses as well. Try looking at rayfoss and O-like as well. They have better quality than DX usually and also tend to be overspec, unlike DX where they tend to lie about the actual power.

Rob

Rayfoss: I am diggin' THIS 100mW
O-like: Kinda into THIS 100mW

But as you see, the prices are WAY higher!! and if the DX's are below spec they can be returned and replaced, no?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they can be returned but don't expect a new laser that is up to par. The lasers that they sell that are truly up to spec are those that say, "true 50mw green" ones that do not carry that line tend to be a bit underspec. At least that's what I tend to hear from people that order from there.

D

Deleted member 8382

I'm afraid I'll need to correct you. Those called "true" are just from a different manufacturer which is supposed to make them more up to spec, but this only happens with the 50mW units. The 100mW ones are just the same, as I alredy said.

Rob

I'm afraid I'll need to correct you. Those called "true" are just from a different manufacturer which is supposed to make them more up to spec, but this only happens with the 50mW units. The 100mW ones are just the same, as I alredy said.

Ah I stand corrected. My apologies for misinformation. I was only repeating what I had heard second-hand. I'll make sure to check my information more thoroughly in the future.

Hmm Thank you all for your input. I ordered my red 100mW and now i'm looking for a green from what you've both explained, I will probably get a higher power (closer to spec, at least) if i go with somewhere OTHER than DX. This is sad because i have limited funds lol

Before you buy a 100mW laser, you might want to check out BLUESKY LASERS at;
megagreen.co.uk. I have the 100mW adjustable focus pen model which puts out 137mW's, & has THE thinnest beam I've EVER seen on a green laser. Paul, (I think he's the owner) is really great to deal with, & gave wonderful PRE & POST purchase communication. Despite the fact that the laser had to come from the U.K. it arrived rather quickly. They are an A-1 company to deal with & I give them & the laser 5 stars..............rob

Jaseth

We have had a feeling for a long time that all the green pen style DX lasers (the "True" and the ones that look like them) are in fact more or less the same - they are simply mass produced cheaply, then tested. If they do 3 to 20mW, they are usually sold as 5mW. If they do 20 to 35mW they are sold as 30mW. 35 to 60= 50mW, 60-75= 100mW, 65-80= 150mW or 200mW.

Those are just very quick numbers but I believe it is more or less that.. You may be lucky and buy a 5mW and get one that is 50mW, you may be unlucky and buy a 150mW and find it is around 45mW. You really can't tell with cheap lasers.

So remember:
5mW are usually overspec, so be careful when thinking they are eye safe.
30mW and 50mW are usually more or less on spec.
100mW and up are usually only slightly more powerful than 50mW, sometimes less powerful.

It is correct that "True" ones tend to be better specs for the 30mW and 50mW, but above that they are all pretty crap. "True" is just a product name.

Seb

Rob

We have had a feeling for a long time that all the green pen style DX lasers (the "True" and the ones that look like them) are in fact more or less the same - they are simply mass produced cheaply, then tested. If they do 3 to 20mW, they are usually sold as 5mW. If they do 20 to 35mW they are sold as 30mW. 35 to 60= 50mW, 60-75= 100mW, 65-80= 150mW or 200mW.

Those are just very quick numbers but I believe it is more or less that.. You may be lucky and buy a 5mW and get one that is 50mW, you may be unlucky and buy a 150mW and find it is around 45mW. You really can't tell with cheap lasers.

So remember:
5mW are usually overspec, so be careful when thinking they are eye safe.
30mW and 50mW are usually more or less on spec.
100mW and up are usually only slightly more powerful than 50mW, sometimes less powerful.

It is correct that "True" ones tend to be better specs for the 30mW and 50mW, but above that they are all pretty crap. "True" is just a product name.

Seb

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I understand much better now. :)

Yeah for sure. The fact that they all look the same is one of the reasons I dont like the pen style. I want something that seems to have more of a purpose as a high power laser, like one that has a key or an adjustable lense. It makes complete sense that they would mass produce them and sell by what power output they calculate. wow! :thanks:

Wait a sec. I had always believed that as long as you can focus it the green laser can burn the same as a red laser but bluray is different because it has an even shorter wavelength. So green should be stronger than red ... I think :can:

D

Deleted member 8382

For those who say that even thought it's not 200mW, it'll be better than the 50mW unit... They put a mega pump diode in them but always the same crystals which are already saturated at 50mW (I believe). I'm saying this because although they output about the same in terms of green light, the 200mW units drain the batteries way faster and output a lot of IR... This is why many people test them and get higher results!

Yours,
Albert

For those who say that even thought it's not 200mW, it'll be better than the 50mW unit... They put a mega pump diode in them but always the same crystals which are already saturated at 50mW (I believe). I'm saying this because although they output about the same in terms of green light, the 200mW units drain the batteries way faster and output a lot of IR... This is why many people test them and get higher results!

Yours,
Albert

Oh jeez :/

Red beams are MUCH less visible than green. In my experience the beam from a 300mW red is _roughly_ as visible as the beam from a 10-15mW green.

But reds are really cool too, and that's coming from someone who has zero interest in burning things.

My advice: get them both!!

I believe the ratio is 60:1. 200mW red = 4mW green