Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dealextreme cheap CNC lathe

ARG

You can always use conductive paste. But good contact is priceless.
Wait .. an IDEA ! What if we sliced the heatsink in half, which would remove about 1mm .. and then we could use screws to tighten it around the module. This would improve most heatsinks, and would lower precision demands.

That is much more ideal than a setscrew, but impractical for looks.

Thermal paste is only good for VERY small areas to fill. It's made to fill the microscopic imperfections in the metal, not to fill 1mm gaps. It wont conduct any heat if the space between metals is over something like 0.1mm

luccax

The hole on the heatsink will be made with a 12mm HSS drill, it will be exactly 12mm. I don't see your point

ARG

The hole on the heatsink will be made with a 12mm HSS drill, it will be exactly 12mm. I don't see your point

The head that holds the piece on the lathe will not be perfectly centered so it will cut a bigger hole than 12mm. Plastic is not rigid enough to keep the whole thing from wobbling. If you do it on a drillpress then the hole wont be centered in the piece.

Is this lathe even big enough to hold a 12mm drillbit in the back? It doesn't look like it would fit in the chuck.

Last edited:
Actually most modules are 11.85 mm in diameter on average and holes drilled are best at 11.90-11.95 mm wide.

Going with 12mm drill bit would result in 13mm wide hole.

That's why I use a 10mm drill bit and then widen it out with internal cutter to precise diameter in my heatsinks.

And no, I would much rather get myself literally ANYTHING else rather than "everything-in-one for 1/10 of price".

This whole thing reminds me of the plastic vice-alike $5 object I sometimes use to hold my stuff when I'm soldering on it. Black + bright orange, all plastic, cheap as dirt. Avoid.

luccax

In brazil i can buy an used cheap lathe for minimum $700. That's why I was thinking about getting this.

Gave up already

ARG

Go with the 700$ one then. Also, no matter which lathe you get you're going to end up spending 200$ in tooling bits.

I picked up a metal working lathe for £105 British pounds.
So you can get them cheap.
Its abit old but will do the job of making heatsinks i think. I will upload a picture.

EA4506FD-48E0-434B-A830-40B485A16DCB-2320-000001261B9CB309_zps83236229.jpg

I was looking at them all in one things.
Honestly i think there more for kids to learn.
Looks like something i had when i was a kid lol.

Richard

Last edited:
Richard86 that is 100 times better then that "cnc" piece!! I'm a full time machinist and I can say with 100 percent certainty that thing wouldn't cut alluminum. especially with that cheap white metal chuck and that tiny motor. look at the philips heads on those screws and you get an idea of how tiny and weak it is. obviously the main body is extruded alluminum. I wouldn't turn a cork on that thing. Check for auctions. you can get amazing machines for dirt cheap.

luccax

I already have some HSS bits here at home. I'll save more money and buy a little lathe but not that from DX.

Thanks. I won it on ebay i havnt collected it yet.
Do you think i could make heatsinks with it?
If it ends up to be crap... I know i can make a few pounds on it.
The guy whos selling it, hes dad used it to make a steam engine.

Richard.

Richard86 that is 100 times better then that "cnc" piece!! I'm a full time machinist and I can say with 100 percent certainty that thing wouldn't cut alluminum. especially with that cheap white metal chuck and that tiny motor. look at the philips heads on those screws and you get an idea of how tiny and weak it is. obviously the main body is extruded alluminum. I wouldn't turn a cork on that thing. Check for auctions. you can get amazing machines for dirt cheap.

luccax

By the way richard, what's the brand of that lathe?

Last edited:
I believe you would be wasting your funds if you bought the DX lathe, it looks like a toy for kids to learn something with, I have a feeling it would take a week just to make a 4" wooden table leg :crackup:

Merry Christmas :san:

By the way richard, what's the brand of that lathe?

Drummond little goliath

I believe you would be wasting your funds if you bought the DX lathe, it looks like a toy for kids to learn something with, I have a feeling it would take a week just to make a 4" wooden table leg :crackup:

Merry Christmas :san:

made me laugh :crackup: very true

luccax

I guess a lathe does not needs that much power to work, even on metal.

A 1500mm (a professional quality lathe) works with about 2hp that equals 1400W of power. We can buy home drilling machines with about that power.

A good bit is important for quick machining, but of course the power influences on how deep you can chip at each turn

I guess the worse about this DX lathe is alignment (it assembles and disassembles)

EDIT: good small lathes have only about 1/2 HP 350W

Last edited:
I would stay Far Far Away from that Lathe in the OP link and
on HobbyKing.

Looking at the Video it is obvious it can't do anything but
wood and plastic. Yeah I saw it drill in aluminum. I have
a drill for that.

It is also not CNC (Computer Numeric Control) enabled since
it only has one small motor.
It is more of a HNC (Human Numeric Control). Just more
Chinese BS marketing hype..

I wouldn't spend any $$ on that. Like was mentioned above
I'd be looking fior a deal on a better quality used Lathe.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics