Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dead laser?

I have one of Destructive Gear's old 75mw Sirius lasers from ~2007.. I've used it very lightly over the years, but today I pulled it out of my closet and tried to use it when I found it wasn't turning on.

Naturally I assumed the battery was dead since I hadn't used it in a while, I checked it and it turns out the battery was fine.. No rust or corrosion of any kind. So now I have a non-functioning ~$175 laser from a company that isn't around anymore. Since thats the case, contacting them for repairs isn't an option unfortunately and I don't have the knowledge to do it myself. I don't even know how to get to the module. It appears the only way the module could be removed is to pull it out of the housing through the battery compartment with a pair of needle nose pliers or maybe tweezers and that seems like it ruin everything for sure.

It worked perfectly fine the last time I used it.. is my laser just garbage now?

Pics:
imgtc.com/a/tJGFDh9

I have one of Destructive Gear's old 75mw Sirius lasers from ~2007.. I've used it very lightly over the years, but today I pulled it out of my closet and tried to use it when I found it wasn't turning on.

Naturally I assumed the battery was dead since I hadn't used it in a while, I checked it and it turns out the battery was fine.. No rust or corrosion of any kind. So now I have a non-functioning ~$175 laser from a company that isn't around anymore. Since thats the case, contacting them for repairs isn't an option unfortunately and I don't have the knowledge to do it myself. I don't even know how to get to the module. It appears the only way the module could be removed is to pull it out of the housing through the battery compartment with a pair of needle nose pliers or maybe tweezers and that seems like it ruin everything for sure.

It worked perfectly fine the last time I used it.. is my laser just garbage now?

Pics:
imgtc.com/a/tJGFDh9

There could be a little oxidation on the battery terminals.

BobMc

Your link to the picture isn't working. For me anyways? :thinking:

if you want to see the image, highlight the url and select "go to (url)" :)

GSS

What WL is this sirius 75mw? I realize the sticker is red.
What is the hole for on the host?
Thanks for the magic finger's Diachi:beer:

Never mind got the pic to enlarge and see its a 532, but is that a LED light?

Last edited:

diachi

What WL is this sirius 75mw? I realize the sticker is red.
What is the hole for on the host?
Thanks for the magic finger's Diachi:beer:

Never mind got the pic to enlarge and see its a 532, but is that a LED light?

No problem!
I'd guess that's the power switch, just missing the cap?

Sorry for the confusion with the link. I couldn't remember the format to actually create a clickable link so I just put the url.

The hole on the host is a led light which indicates that the laser is powered on.

The battery's voltage read to be what its suppose to be (3v) and the battery works in a flashlight that I have. I also tried several other batteries and I played with the endcap and push button because I thought maybe there was a bad connection. No luck.

BobMc

Sorry for the confusion with the link. I couldn't remember the format to actually create a clickable link so I just put the url.

The hole on the host is a led light which indicates that the laser is powered on.

The battery's voltage read to be what its suppose to be (3v) and the battery works in a flashlight that I have. I also tried several other batteries and I played with the endcap and push button because I thought maybe there was a bad connection. No luck.

Jump the battery to the host with a pair of pliers or something. Run a continuity test through the switch, if you have a multimeter ? :thinking:

diachi

What type of battery is it?

Is battery in the right way? Or dirty contacts on end-cap, spring or switch??

There are so any question to be asked here. You say you haven't used this laser in a long time. Are you sure the polarity of your battery is correct? Does it take one or two cells? Have you had the battery(ies) in backwards at any time? Did you confirm full charge on the battery(ies)? Have you cleaned the threads on any parts the screw into the host: tail cap, etc?

There are so any question to be asked here. You say you haven't used this laser in a long time. Are you sure the polarity of your battery is correct? Does it take one or two cells? Have you had the battery(ies) in backwards at any time? Did you confirm full charge on the battery(ies)? Have you cleaned the threads on any parts the screw into the host: tail cap, etc?

Yep, time to bust out the multimeter and do some continuity checks on all contacts and the switch and go from there!

Jump the battery to the host with a pair of pliers or something. Run a continuity test through the switch, if you have a multimeter ? :thinking:

Jumping the battery to the host with a multimeter reveled that I do have continuity/voltage going through the circuit, but the laser is still not powering on. The 'on' LED is not coming on and there is obviously no laser light being emitted.