Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Darkhorse full body heatsink

So I just got my darkhorse full body heatsink today, and I notice that it comes with a little rubber circular thing. What exactly is that thing for ? :eek:

No, it is a replacement o-ring.

Remove the o-ring out of the Dorcy head, and replace it with that one. It will make your Heatsink feel a lot better in there!

Is it mandatory to use it lol? Will it function wrong without it...

Okay, so I just got my dorcy, finally found one at the other target in my town. Anyways, I unscrewed the head and I don't see any kind of O-Ring already in it...where exactly is it lol.

Edit: I popped the lens out of the head and saw the original "o-ring". I then tried putting the darkhorse into the head and it was sliding right out. Then I put the darkhorse o-ring into the head and now the heatsink sits just nice in the head, without sliding out. Only note, is that it takes a little pressure to screw it in with the new o-ring in.

Did I do it right?

:-/

daguin

Elyk456 said:
Don't everybody answer at once  ;)

Did you remove the original (smaller) O-ring? The O-ring that Dark_Horse sends is a "replacement", NOT an "addition."

Peace,
dave

Yes, I removed it then tried putting the heatsink in and it simply slided out. Then I put the thicker one that darkhorse supplies, into the head and the heatsink sits right on it. It takes a little bit of pressure to screw it on but I think I got it right.

Edit: Yeah so everything is here except the diode and module...hopefully they come on saturday : (

Everything is so small lol

daguin

Elyk456 said:
Yes, I removed it then tried putting the heatsink in and it simply slided out. Then I put the thicker one that darkhorse supplies, into the head and the heatsink sits right on it. It takes a little bit of pressure to screw it on but I think I got it right.

Edit: Yeah so everything is here except the diode and module...hopefully they come on saturday : (

You did it right.

Peace,
dave

Elyk456 said:

I have just seen this thread, been pretty busy ;)
I know your question has been answered, but just to reinforce for others that may be curious; yes, it takes a little pressure to "seat" the reduced-diameter "nose" through the O-ring. This fit is supposed to be tight, (machinists call it precision ;) ). Screwing the head in will put it right where it needs to be. Once seated into the O-ring, it will take the same pressure to push it back out.

The original O-ring is too-small and will let the heasink push forward/out, away from contacting the back of the heatsink with the battery-tube. This will act as a switch and make your lasers not work until you push on the front of the heatsink and reestablish a connection, very annoying. The new O-ring eliminates this completely.
DH