Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cyprus Pen 2-10440 cells

Good call on the set screw, as I was reading the OP I was wondering if you did that mod yourself or did you order it pre taped.

I once was rushing a build with this exact host. I put the whole host in the vice and tried to press the module in. I didn't have the tail cap on so it crumble the whole rear tail switch in (a piece of cardboard did nothing to prevent this). I scrapped the whole thing.

Anyways if you Dremel too much I've used aluminum foil as a spacer. Little arctic silver 5 and you're golden. ;-) I don't think this is optimal though.

Nice work with this, it fills a power-to-pen void well.

Hi,
I used the dremmel but i took my time little be little very slow and keep testing the id every so often until the module slides in with minimal pressure . It takes time but like any of my builds i go slow. Press fits scare me because that means permanent, and i don't like that just in case . bore out a small amount and test repeat again. Don't give-up buddy try it again i know you can do it and you will be satisfied with your results.

Rich:)

Thin copper sheeting is a better substitute if you can get your hands on some.
Also, I did notice the same thing with my 2 small copper hosts. You need to bore them out slightly as a standard module will not press fit without damaging it.
Glad we agree on the small host challenge. I have a stupid number of 532nm modules in small hosts.

Hi Pman,
But you did accomplish your goals with all those cool pen like builds. Sounds to me you had a plan of attack and you won with that many small builds I will keep in mind the copper sheeting sounds awesome i will try that on my next pen type build. Thanks buddy for the great information.. By the way 532nm is a great WL in my book..

Pman

As far as the sheet copper I ended up with some from jobs I used to do when I was working that was leftover pieces but Im pretty sure it was purchased at a lumber store although I've heard it's at hardware and craft stores too.
532nm now seems to have taken a back seat to anything blue which to me seems way off considering the beam specs not to mention what you can get for your $ hovering around the 100mW and less area. I see the issue as a combination of more people have seen green, more people say their favorite color is blue, you need to own at least a 1W blue or 1W+ anything so you'll get some respect blah blah blah plus it doesn't cost much to build or buy one now even for young teens.
I'm not trying to cause division or anything. It just seems like too much power too quickly for some people in my opinion.

Hi P,
As for the sheet CU i have some form work, i also have lots of land pieces of CU from the older industrial transformers and that CU is top notch stuff. great to cut to length for heat sinking drivers. Ill show some pics of the Cu i have.
As for the Blue WL's they are powerful and affordable , the smallest Blue i have is in that smaller pen i have . Its a single mode and puts out only about 230mW. Coming up i will be buying a couple 1W 520's and a few of those 6+W new big boys Nd that new 515nm diode DTR has to offer. I like the cheaper 638's 700mW reds pushing them to 1W+.
As for the new younger builder the high power blues are to much for first time builders i agree. To them more power is testing to burn stuff. To them its not about WL shifting to another nm.

This is just a few pieces i have theres lots more..

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Pman

My copper is thin and I can easily fold it around modules or if I have to push pieces on edge down between a module and host wall. Unfortunately it also is very sticky on one side as there's a thin adhesive coating on it. It is EASILY removed with paint thinner.
N9 clue what gauge it is and I don't think I have any way of measuring it accurately. IT cuts easily with regular scissors and although can get lots of crinkles if you bend it you can just use something like the edge of a scissor over the top while pinching it down on something like a table and pull it through to fix that.
I actually gave quite a lot of pieces of it away when I did some giveaways and added stuff in with the packaging. I don't have a whole lot left now. Could have sworn when it was purchased it came in a roll a couple feet wide with maybe 20 feet or more on it and cost a couple $100.

GSS

I vouch for the Pman I was lucky to get some copper sheeting in a few things he sent me, and for now I dont see anything better for what its needed for:)

HiP,
That gauge shouldn't be to hard to find .i will try a big craft store like A.C Moore's or something like that. Well thanks you got me going now hope your happy LOL.
Now ( I NEED DIS ) You never have to much material hanging around.
Old saying:: Better to have and not need ,Then to need and not have...
Now i have another quest ..

Last edited:

Pman

I should take a pic of all the "stuff" I have that isn't a laser but has something to do with it such as all parts used to build to all the stuff kept from tearing apart flashlights. It's a ton of stuff when you include batteries and lenses and soldering and tape and wire and chargers and test instruments including vape and fog machines. I did so awhile back but of course there is so much more now. Maybe I can find those old pics...
Crud, I just went to look at my over-spec pen build thread and all of a sudden the images say they have expired. How do I un-expire them without having to do them all over again which I don't have the energy for?

Last edited:
Hi P,
I don't depend on those photo bucket sites anymore. One thing is the expire thing about them. This is what i do , I have a Canon power shot SD850 IS digital elph camera. You can set the image size so LPF accepts them. I take the pics and then load them to my photo album on my Laptop ( MacBook Air ) now i have them forever. Then i write my thread then go to advanced click on the upload it then opens up my photo's i select the ones i want ,then i upload all of them to my thread done . it takes about 5 minutes to do the limit of 8 pics on LPF.
no more photo bucket more me the post explains my build and folks match up the pics simple.
You could get this camera next to nothing now its an older one i had for years.
Rich..