Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cyprus Pen 2-10440 cells

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to share this new build i completed this morning.

Host: Cypreus Copper Pen Bored out to fit a 12mm copper Module and 4/40 set screw.
Driver: 1.8A X drive V7 with spring attached to + Pos.
Lens: G2..
Power Cells: 2-10440
Diode: PLTB450B
Tell me what you think about the altered build thank you all..

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sweet looking laser Lifetime, those copper hosts sure do look nice all polished up!
BTW - What's big brother got in it, or is this the larger of the two?

Edit: Is your driver mounted tight against the copper module to keep pressure off the diode pins, it looks like it is in the pic, but hard to tell.

:gj: +rep!

Last edited:
Hi Bowtie,

The small copper has a single mode 450nm
The large copper has a 450nm/PLTB450B=2500+W
It really has a long duty for the diode i put in it , i was surprised..
i modified the host from a press fit to a 12mm slip in module with a set screw 4/40 thread.
Press fits are nice but they scare me a bit. Only because if it dies i don't have to struggle to get it out.And when i get bored i like switching hosts and diodes.

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I don't blame you there, it's nice to have that flexibility. :)

Sweet looking laser Lifetime, those copper hosts sure do look nice all polished up!
BTW - What's big brother got in it, or is this the larger of the two?

Edit: Is your driver mounted tight against the copper module to keep pressure off the diode pins, it looks like it is in the pic, but hard to tell.

:gj: +rep!

Yes it is you can only get it to sit so close if you bend the pins and use the holes in the driver
If you look at the first pic there a strange looking host its a SIPIK.. I got that with the rest of the lot i bought . Should be real cool when I'm done with that to. The sink is really beefy in it ...

Last edited:

GSS

Wow Lifetime, when you put your mind to something there is no stopping you!! You just got the host! Wicked nice. Does it at all get to hot to hold and what do you think its safe duty cycle is? Cant give you my tiny rep yet:beer::beer::)

Hi G,
Duty cycle to good really i was surprised considering its all copper. And the best part is it has the PLTB450B in it LPM's at 2500+. It was a press fit so i changed that, i feel more comfortable knowing i can swap out diodes if necessary. The drivers you can use in other apps to . Versatile builds are better IMOP. Thanks for checking it out buddy..

GSS

Hi G,
Duty cycle to good really i was surprised considering its all copper. And the best part is it has the PLTB450B in it LPM's at 2500+. It was a press fit so i changed that, i feel more comfortable knowing i can swap out diodes if necessary. The drivers you can use in other apps to . Versatile builds are better IMOP. Thanks for checking it out buddy..

My pleasure I was pretty curious and it looked like blue won (for now) let see how long it lasts now that you can easily remove the module lol:shhh:

Hi G,
You are so right wanted to try that 515 mm he has or take the 520nm out of one of my other builds. So many diode to little time lol!!. Now that I can swap dies nice choices for the host.
Thanks G...

GSS

Hi G,
You are so right wanted to try that 515 mm he has or take the 520nm out of one of my other builds. So many diode to little time lol!!. Now that I can swap dies nice choices for the host.
Thanks G...
No comment on changing so fast lol but what did you end up using to bore it out?

Pman

I have a couple of the smaller ones pictured that I haven't decided what to put in yet.
Congrats on one "hot" little number:) +3

Last edited:
Hi GSS,
I use a dremmel with a fine bit slowly taking my time not to take to much out. Then i wet sand the inside smooth to get it clean with no ridges its like polishing. Do this slowly remember you can always take more off ,but you can't put it back. Then a bit of Arctic Alumina Thermal paste to fill in the microscopic voids and to help heat dissipation to the sink.

I have a couple of the smaller ones pictured that I haven't decided what to put in yet.
Congrats on one "hot" little number:) +3

Why thank you so much Pman appreciated buddy. I like taking my time with builds to make them better and more efficient anyway i can . This way they will last a lifetime so to speak. Smaller builds with hotter diodes need to be carefully thought out if you want them to last. Small hosts are a challenge and so cool..

i modified the host from a press fit to a 12mm slip in module with a set screw 4/40 thread.
Press fits are nice but they scare me a bit. Only because if it dies i don't have to struggle to get it out.And when i get bored i like switching hosts and diodes.

Good call on the set screw, as I was reading the OP I was wondering if you did that mod yourself or did you order it pre taped.

I once was rushing a build with this exact host. I put the whole host in the vice and tried to press the module in. I didn't have the tail cap on so it crumble the whole rear tail switch in (a piece of cardboard did nothing to prevent this). I scrapped the whole thing.

Anyways if you Dremel too much I've used aluminum foil as a spacer. Little arctic silver 5 and you're golden. ;-) I don't think this is optimal though.

Nice work with this, it fills a power-to-pen void well.

Pman

Thin copper sheeting is a better substitute if you can get your hands on some.
Also, I did notice the same thing with my 2 small copper hosts. You need to bore them out slightly as a standard module will not press fit without damaging it.
Glad we agree on the small host challenge. I have a stupid number of 532nm modules in small hosts.

Last edited:
Thin copper sheeting is a better substitute if you can get your hands on some.
Also, I did notice the same thing with my 2 small copper hosts. You need to bore them out slightly as a standard module will not press fit without damaging it.
Glad we agree on the small host challenge. I have a stupid number of 532nm modules in small hosts.

A thin copper sheet would be better yes. Where can you buy something like that ? eBay ?

532 copper pens. Any with a side switch? That my friend, is easier said than done.