Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom Machining / Welding  - Trading 4 Laser

sorry, that was a terrible picture - here is another view:
lights1.jpg

It is basically a host for a couple of LEDS - probably one ssc p7 for flood, and one cree m-ce for throw.
I will look further for internal measurements

And how much would you want for the AAA host?

Zom-B

Re: Custom Machining / Welding  - Trading 4 L

I forgot the cross-section diagrams

lathelaserdiagram.png

Rob the LED host looks pretty simple.

Zombie those look nice, but I dont think you really need the part bored on the inside like that. The part that holds the battery back wouldnt need that big of a lip to work, drilling that section a few thousandths of an inch smaller would be enough to hold it in place and give you about the same amount of room on the inside while greatly reducing the complexity to produce them.

What diameter for the head section, and threaded section are you thinking of?

ok I'll take one jk no really what are the trade options what kind of laser do you want you know what for what???

Well seeing as how I have no high powered lasers at the moment I'd be willing to trade for just about anything :D.

I am interested in blu, green, and red in a module with the driver connected so i could basically just put it in one of my hosts and hook up a switch.

Something tested with a power reading would be nice, over 100 mW would be nice too.

I know the blu ray ones are more expensive than reds, dont know how much green units cost just that they are somewhere between.

The complexity of the thing you want machined will determine the trade value, the design can be very basic or be pretty complex with all the bells and whistles.

One off custom prototypes cost more per piece than producing say 5 or 10 of the same design, because the setup time and machining per piece is less when you make many.

I'd be happy to make a little production run to trade for one or more of each color. Could send you a production prototype before making up X number more to make sure everything fits and all.

Like I said its all based on how complex the design is, a fairly simple host with a side or rear button hole with a few fins and some knurling would be less than a gasketed waterproof case with a magnetic switch.

The magnetic switches I make basically have a neodymium magnet on the inside, and a magnet on the outside, with no hole in between, the magnetic attraction transfers the motion of the button on the outside to the button on the inside, making it unable to leak in any way.

It could also be set up so that you wear a ring with a magnet on it, so that only you can turn it on :D

Zom-B

PyroEric said:
Zombie those look nice, but I dont think you really need the part bored on the inside like that. The part that holds the battery back wouldnt need that big of a lip to work, drilling that section a few thousandths of an inch smaller would be enough to hold it in place and give you about the same amount of room on the inside while greatly reducing the complexity to produce them.
I really don't get what you mean by this.

The head largest diameter is 32mm. The threads have a mean diameter of 23mm but designed to be 2mm smaller at most.

The largest diameter of the driver ring holder thing and the rear is the same as the mean thread diameter.

[edit]
Here's a detail so you can point out or draw things on it.
lathehostdetail.png

Ah well if that middle part is threaded you wont need anything to hold it in place, since the point where the threads stop will be as far forward as it can go.

Attachments

• lathehostdetail.png
    lathehostdetail.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 250

Zom-B

No, Europe

mmykle

PyroEric said:
Hmmm that would probably make trading lasers a non-option.

Where do you live Eric? Idk how much of this forum you've read but its illegal to import lasers into the US (where I am) and to Australia (Am I missing anybody?). I do not know the exporting rules but I don't think its illegal to export... I think. If you live in the US I would gladly gladly make you a red laser in a "Dorcy Jr." set-up. I have two open-can diodes in the mail and all of the other supplies to make one. I do not have an output meter but you can be looking at about 250mW +/- 10mW depending on the diodes crystal and efficiency. That's a lot of power... I could bring it up to around 300mW but would strongly advise not doing this because it will dramatically shorten the life of the diode and also bring down run time.

I have to tell you that I have pretty much no experience with trading/selling and stuff being only 16. But don't leave yet, I can assure I am capable of doing it, I just need to do a little research on how to ship and depending on where you live (to see if I could legally get it to you) talking over yahoo sounds like a good idea.

Also what file types can you take? The only auto-cad programs I know how to use are sketchup (which can't really do anything complex), and CST Microwave studio. Never heard of CST? Don't blame you, I'm interning for SPAWAR in the antenna branch (told you I'm capable...) and am using that program because it can simulate electromagnetic fields. Can't get it to easily on your end though, fraid its about $35,000 dollars ;D

I am in the eastern USA, importing and exporting is always a pain, I would be able to send out the machined cases as they are just pieces of metal, but trading for diodes would be off the table internationally, though I can still do commissions for cash.

Best way to ship is to go to the post office and get some priority mail boxes, they are free, and then it would be about $5 to ship something laser size. They have little boxes that are about the size of a few dvd movie cases.

Also get a few of the neon yellow delivery confirmation slips that basically act like a tracking number and tells you when it is delivered or if they screw up something with the shipping.

Other than that its just a matter of filling out the address sticker and paying for postage.

Can you export to a dxf file? Even a dimensioned jpeg will work.

I dont know what the dorcy jr setup is, dont need a host if thats included.

I have sent 4 or 5 lasers into the USA, and none have been confiscated. That shouldn't be a problem

I live in Asia so I guess I do not have the export/import problems mentioned?

mmykle

PyroEric said:
I am in the eastern USA, importing and exporting is always a pain, I would be able to send out the machined cases as they are just pieces of metal, but trading for diodes would be off the table internationally, though I can still do commissions for cash.

Best way to ship is to go to the post office and get some priority mail boxes, they are free, and then it would be about $5 to ship something laser size. They have little boxes that are about the size of a few dvd movie cases.

Also get a few of the neon yellow delivery confirmation slips that basically act like a tracking number and tells you when it is delivered or if they screw up something with the shipping.

Other than that its just a matter of filling out the address sticker and paying for postage.

Can you export to a dxf file? Even a dimensioned jpeg will work.

I dont know what the dorcy jr setup is, dont need a host if thats included.

Thanks for the shipping info. Tomorrow I will take note of what files I can export too. I think I can export to some type of autocad file. The engineers use that file to build it.

Oh, yea I don't know why I was thinking you wanted an actual laser set up. You just want the diode, houseing&lens, and driver. Is that correct?