Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom device request (5-10mW pulse infrared)

Echemythia

It doesn't say the spread on it. Is it possible that the spread would go that far (up 5nm)? Or would that, like, not even be a laser? Lol.

Could I just make sure only too use it when it's against the skin, especially on 10mW mode? That would make it safe, no?

Sure, you could do that. But, keep in mind that at or above 5 mW is not eye safe and at 830nm it won't be very visible. It is not possible to know how far off these might wander in wavelength without testing a whole lot of them. I have tested many diodes for wavelength and some are quite solid and others wander up to 6nm, but that wander is steady for each diode once it is measured.

Echemythia

Okay. So I'm decided on a 5mW 830nm 500ms pulse/constant handheld unit. Let's simplify everything just to get this done and I'll see if I want to order more later. From what I'm hearing from you folks this sounds simple enough. I simply don't have the tools to make it myself. Who would like to build this for me --- with the good possibility of me ordering more in the future? I will compensate you for your time and expertise, and I will pay for parts in advance if need be.

When I said the specs are important I was referring to the wavelength ranges of the device and how wide or narrow the spectrum from the device is as well as the range of power output vs voltage and current. If we find a suitable 100 mw output laser diode and he only wants 5-10 mw I'd like to see if the output can be controlled to the range he wants with the driver alone. I never brought up beam specs from the diode, although those should be considered too for the optics design.

From what I've seen so far, for your application the device doesn't need an extremely narrow line width. Some medical devices require it, such as 311 nm is the most efficient wavelength to treat some skin conditions.

Last edited:

Snecho

Okay. So I'm decided on a 5mW 830nm 500ms pulse/constant handheld unit. Let's simplify everything just to get this done and I'll see if I want to order more later. From what I'm hearing from you folks this sounds simple enough. I simply don't have the tools to make it myself. Who would like to build this for me --- with the good possibility of me ordering more in the future? I will compensate you for your time and expertise, and I will pay for parts in advance if need be.
As I have said in our pms I could be commissioned to do such a build but I am kinda afraid of doing so since its gonna be my first project for someone else, If at any time I have the spare parts ill do some experimenting with this with no cost and If it comes out good I'll give it to you.
Ill use a 555 timer circuit with a 2 way switch and a ttl capable driver, I can not give you a time estimate though cause I don't have some of the parts on hand.
^^^I believe he showed some interest in doing this for you?