Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom Builds with Crouse hosts and Magic Sticks!

I was thinking about getting one of those. But considering how we overdrive them... not sure if I will notice a difference :(

If I build with them, I'm going to use the recommended settings, to avoid any red shift.

That's a good idea. I just wish I had a spectrometer >.> Might have to look into getting one for Hannukkah.

I'm snagging ARGs in a couple weeks. Tired of needing one and not having it.

Once I get it, I'll also being doing diode GBs to get lots of diodes for cheap so I can try to get my 460, 420, and <510nm diodes.

Damn, wish I could grab it! I may have to see if RHD is interested in selling his to me, or at least leasing it.

It's the first thing on my list of instruments that I need. Then an ophir based LPM, and an optical LPM.

How can I hunt wavelengths if I can't even measure them? :p

Last edited:
Hah. Exactly! My only concern is that... at a certain point, it's not about collecting the individual wavelengths (I mean, two "445s" are going to be a bit different) but about collecting the diodes/sources/whatevers. That's why, if I ever get a 593.5nm DPSS or HeNe, I wouldn't get the other. The idea, for me, is to build a rainbow, not just have a laser for every 1nm =p That's why I don't think calling a "445nm" diode 450nm (unless it's specced for 450nm) is a fair game.

Well, snagging a cherry picked 460nm diode is better than dropping the $2-3K for a 460nm specced laser.

I also don't know whether to count the Raman HeNe lines, or the 604, since it's part of a ML. Same applies to the tunable AR lines. So that's why I condense it. Could you imagine if I listed each WL individually? My sig would be a mile long...

Last edited:
I consider multiline lasers to count, after all, they are all unique laser emissions. On the other hand, I get where you're coming from, but... I dunno. I suppose that the wavelength changes as the laser heats up, so, to me, it doesn't really count (unless it's not diode). I agree that I would prefer to have all my lines in different lasers so I could view them all at once, side by side, but it's the best I can do at the moment! Maybe one day I will see if I can trade my multiline and a few hundred dollars for a few single lines.

Single line Ars only exist in 458, 488, and 514.

When I get more time, and money, and experience, I'll eventually build a tunable HeNe. Hopefully I can snag some 604, then I will finally see 604 by itself. That's one of my biggest goals with HeNes. As many lines as possible, and seeing 604 by itself.

Just because they only come that way doesn't mean they can't be altered that way! A long term goal is to get some mirrors for the other wavelengths and then make my own external cavity to amplify only those wavelengths.

I know. I want to play more with HeNe too, but I think I am cheaper than you =p

Honestly, it can get expensive quickly. The fortunate part is that I've gotten over my obsession with just buying cool lasers without thinking. My wallet thanks me.

Plus the 1B laser will provide with days of projects and experimentation, so no need to buy more during that time.

Basic work with HeNes isn't that expensive. Grab a 5mW tube, and a couple HRs, and you can probably get another line or two to lase if you line it up. Won't be permanent without mounts, but still interesting.

Eh. I've done the cheap things with HeNes though =p And I like my experiments to have permanent results when completed.