Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CR123 batteries

Is it possible to make a CR123 powered 500-600nm laser? I need the CR123 for its shelf life over rechargeables.

I don't see why not. but most DC lasers run at the bare minimum of 3.7 so it might be under powered and wont be able to supply the voltage needed to reach the current it needs, im not exactly sure how to ramp it up to 3.7 from 3.0. because I don't know much about circuits, im sure that would require transistors of some sort or Ramp generator. I believe (don't quote me) lol. why don't you just run one at 3.7? they are all rechargeable at that voltage.

I don't see why not. but most DC lasers run at the bare minimum of 3.7 so it might be under powered and wont be able to supply the voltage needed to reach the current it needs, im not exactly sure how to ramp it up to 3.7 from 3.0. because I don't know much about circuits, im sure that would require transistors of some sort or Ramp generator. I believe. why don't you just run one at 3.7? they are all rechargeable at that voltage.
I dont care abaout rechargeable, I need the long shelflife.
maybe a triple AAA instead of an 18650?

Snecho

I dont care abaout rechargeable, I need the long shelflife.
maybe a triple AAA instead of an 18650?
Dang, I've heard of AAAs, I've heard of triple As, but I've never heard of triple triple As. That's incredible.

I think I get what youre saying, because rechargeable cells usually tend to have a self discharge rate much much higher than non rechargeables. so you want something you can leave sitting for quite some time? well alkalines could potentially be a bad idea because they can leak if left unattended for a long time. RedCowboy definitely has the best recommendation for sure. series the 2 cr123s

You can put the 3v lithium non-rechargeable cells in series you know, this will run on 2 of your cr123 cell. ( working voltage 6.0-7.4 )

Thank you. yes. That would be almost perfect but only 2mW, I was hoping for 200+mW

I think I get what youre saying, because rechargeable cells usually tend to have a self discharge rate much much higher than non rechargeables. so you want something you can leave sitting for quite some time? well alkalines could potentially be a bad idea because they can leak if left unattended for a long time. RedCowboy definitely has the best recommendation for sure. series the 2 cr123s

Thank you, yes. Im a pilot and the laser would sit in the planes emergency gear bag for long periods of time without being removed to top up the charge.
I was hoping for two CR123s in series but Gary from Survival laser mentioned the voltage would be too low, (2x3.0 vs 2x3.7)

If you use a Sharp GH05C01A9G2 diode ( good for 700mw ) and an ACS1500SE driver you can use 3 x cr123 cells in series, that's 3 cells in a row.......yes the driver would work with less voltage but bucking is more efficient than boosting and you will get more runtime with 3 cells.

-----OR----

You can use a Sharp 135mw 520nm that's good for 200mw and an LDS500 driver with 1 or 2 cr123 cells ......better to use 2 cells in series for longer run time.

Last edited:
If you use a Sharp GH05C01A9G2 diode ( good for 700mw ) and an ACS1500SE driver you can use 3 x cr123 cells in series, that's 3 cells in a row.......yes the driver would work with less voltage but bucking is more efficient than boosting and you will get more runtime with 3 cells.

You can use a Sharp 135mw 520nm that's good for 200mw and an LDS500 driver with 1 or 2 cr123 cells ......better to use 2 cells in series for longer run time.

Thank you! This might be exactly what I need for my standby device rather than an EDC.

Thank you, yes. Im a pilot and the laser would sit in the planes emergency gear bag for long periods of time without being removed to top up the charge.
I was hoping for two CR123s in series but Gary from Survival laser mentioned the voltage would be too low, (2x3.0 vs 2x3.7)
ahh okay I see what youre saying. yeah Redcowboy knows his stuff way better than me. youre a pilot really!? very cool for sure :)
So AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAs? 18 A batteries.
stop it!! hahahaha lol!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: