Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CPU heatsink for 100W LED panel?

I'm sourcing the parts for a build using a 100W LED panel and I'm wondering if this CPU heatsink will work since I have this one laying around.

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

If it does work it would be nice since I can mount 2 120mm fans on it easily.

That'll be plenty. Pretty much anything with a fan will be adequate.

Things

Surprised they don't even list it's dissipation capacity in the specs. Pretty important detail for a heatsink you'd think.

Which stock heatsink is it, picture?

It's just the one that came with my AMD FX 8320. I've never use the ones that come with the processors I buy.

23kf4lt.jpg

Last edited:
Those are nice, I always thought it was funny that AMD comes with those stacked fin triple heatpipes, while intel stock heatsink is extruded aluminum, or sometimes copper cored extruded alu. Just make sure to use the fan with it when on full blast, and don't drill into the heatpipes ^_^

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7 < talks about power consumption. Don't know how efficient modern day CPUs are, but if the thing is consuming several hundred watts, it must be dissipating quite a bit too. Don't know about 100W, but that's what testing is for ;)

Last edited:
Are you building a aquarium / reef light or a planted tank light?

Just building it for fun/showing my brother that those chinese flashlights he keeps buying on ebay are not even close to the lumens they say :p

I am in the process of building 2 LED aquarium lights for my planted tank.
Each will have 30 LEDs (3 watters) Royal Blue, Warm White, Cool White, Violet UV and Deep Red mix.
They are mounted on 2 6x20 inch heatsinks with 3 channel dimmable MeanWell drivers and a couple of Moonlight LEDs for night time.

I made a 800 watt RGB LED monster with TEC cooling sandwiched to a massive heatsink and built something so effective for cooling I don't want to pick the darn thing up anymore, too heavy: IR, LED and Laser Project