Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Corrective Optics

laserpointerforums.com/.../now-completed-optically-corrected-p73-hh-design -87235-4.html

Well.....these are some steep requirements ! The Mitsui P73 can be corrected, both in a hand held, see

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/now-completed-optically-corrected-p73-hh-design-87235.html

and of course in a lab style.

I have done both, but the optical demands are the same;
1) Optimal positioning (centering) of the LD to the Collimation lens.
2) Mounting the cylindrical lenses with the most critical dimension being between the two lenses.

The complete correction of the P73 (638nm beams) is accomplished only when these two issues are addressed !

How one would accomplish these demands in a handheld format, other than the Dragon's Head design, I have no idea ! ...although there must be other ways ??

SOoooo....what is the end goal here ?? I assume we are addressing a hand held unit only. Really, the simplest and least expensive way I can imagine is the Dragon Head design. Perhaps, I am lacking imagination !! ?? Dunno

I suppose a single unit could be designed which would accomplish both demands 1 and 2 listed above !

But, what would this design fit into ? What would be the host ? It sure would be a custom design ! Simple ?? NO !! If the design is very good, alignment could and should be relatively easy. Not cheap, but not too expensive !
I suppose cost is relative !

And, I would speculate that the demand for such a unit would be limited. Thought's anyone ??????

Your design is sort of what I had in mind.

nkgamer1990

I am glad to see someone trying to bring down the prices of these correction optics.
The only store i know that sell a cylindrical lens pair is Dave from LSP Lasershow Parts - 4 x mag cylindrical lens pair
And his price is 50$ and there is no mention of a coating or quality.

Now counter to what i said above you need to be very careful about doing this if you are serious.

There are alot of factors that you need to consider about optics more than just shapes and focal lengths.
The only way lenses get cheaper is by lowering quality.
With a surface quality rating 60-40 being the cheapest you should go, all they way to 20-10 being very expensive.
I could go into alot of technical detail of how i ordered and learned but i think it would be better to link you a good place to start so you know what to order.
http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-resources-center/optics/understanding-optical-specifications/
http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-resources-center/optics/using-cylinder-lenses/
http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-resources-center/optics/an-introduction-to-optical-coatings/
In the above linked articles there are several more link in them please do read them.

Your best to bet is to find a supplier that has a catalog stock and order out of there.
You do not want to have to make a custom lens and pay setup and tooling.
Out of the catalog you can select things such as surface quality and optical coating.
Use BK7 glass and Never go a surface quality less than 60-40.
The best AR coating is not MgF2 its VIS-EXT (for our lasers)http://www.edmundoptics.com/techsupport/resource_center/product_docs/curv_88620.pdf
vs the MgF2 coating
http://www.edmundoptics.com/techsupport/resource_center/product_docs/curv_31854.pdf

The exact FL of the two lenses you get may vary or even the shape round or square lenses vs prisms.
A normal pair is plano-concave first then a plano-convex this arrangement is nice and compact.
You could also go plano-convex and plano-convex it is just a less compact design.
But understand the smaller the lenses are the harder they are to setup, so try to keep the smallest lens above 6mm if you can.
The magnification you want will depend on the diode.

Also make sure to never just buy with out having samples first. I get samples all the time at cost of just shipping and some times they are coated as they are lefter over from a larger customers run and sometimes they are not. But at least you can verify the surface quality and make sure everything is in order before handing over other peoples money.
Any time doing a group buy make sure to price it so that there is room for shit to happen. i cant tell you enough how much you need to add this into the cost.

The last GB i ran went great for the correction lenses, perfect quality and only had one set that was damaged a tiny bit from shipping. but it was the local machine shop that fucked me on mounts that i priced exactly at cost.

So what ever you do make sure to plan for a set or two to be in a condition not to sell. so in case they short you a unit or one is not coated right or a scratch or dig in the lens it can be covered without you giving up your sets or covering it from your wallet.

Last edited:
excellent info kiyoukan. as I suspected there are other variables I was not aware of.
any chance you'd want to help organize this given your experience?

short answer: NO

I swore to never take part in a GB ever again. They are not very good or i am very bad with them. i think its a bit of both.

Try going to alibaba and talking to a bunch of the sellers and ask to see there current production catalogs for cylinder lenses.
Make sure you can meet the min order quantity.
Also it helps to stretch the truth.
Tell them you are doing a startup company and want to order some samples at the cost of shipping.
If the samples go over well you will place an order for about 50-100 units for the early beta test units.
Then once the beta units go out you will place a much larger number in low thousand.

The above may seem over the top but it makes sure they wont screw you (most of the time) on quality and then not get the larger order. but hey you can always end up with a box of shoes and have the pitch forks come out...

Last edited:
short answer: NO

I swore to never take part in a GB ever again. They are not very good or i am very bad with them. i think its a bit of both.

Try going to alibaba and talking to a bunch of the sellers and ask to see there current production catalogs for cylinder lenses.
Make sure you can meet the min order quantity.
Also it helps to stretch the truth.
Tell them you are doing a startup company and want to order some samples at the cost of shipping.
If the samples go over well you will place an order for about 50-100 units for the early beta test units.
Then once the beta units go out you will place a much larger number in low thousand.

The above may seem over the top but it makes sure they wont screw you (most of the time) on quality and then not get the larger order. but hey you can always end up with a box of shoes and have the pitch forks come out...

Oh look, it's Kiyouscam, risen from the 8th ring of hell (fraud) to dispense his knowledge to the masses.

Why are you showing your face around here anymore after disappearing for 2-years after your botched multi-forum GB scam/incompetence where you absconded with peoples' funds? People were ready to call the police on your ass for giving them the run-around for months on end.

Did you ever even refund anyone their money after saying you would a year after the GB? Nice year-long interest-free loan, huh? Or did you just walk off with the money while hosting other GBs? I want to know, because I'm surprised your account hasn't been categorically banned for your last GB scam/incompetence, like your Paypal account was. Maybe there was some hope that you'd return and rectify your crimes, but no, you're here to tell people to "stretch the truth".

Classic.

Don't act like the choice to never take part in a GB is even yours to make. Your reputation is completely shot. Who the hell would trust you to do a GB even if you wanted to?

Last edited:
I came back because i was sent a mail telling me that someone was trying to do an optics group buy and I want to make sure they knew what and how to order as to get quality optics and not garbage.

I dont think there is anything wrong with telling the seller there would be a larger order later he may very well run another gb or maybe someone who owns a shop might want to buy stock after the source and quality have been tested. As the only seller is dave from lsp and international shipping is a bit expensive and slow.

And if you read the thread you might notice that the information i posted is helpful as it looks like nkgamer1990 was not 100% sure what hes getting into.

Also interest free loan no one has put it that way before...
well i payed it back better than most have done here that did it to be mean and hurt people.

And who the hell would trust me with a GB? I hope no one and no one should ever ask. Hell i would not trust my self to run one.

I've always viewed kiyoukan as a positive part of this community. never heard anything about this past gb but I believe his help here warrants a +1 from me.
-Nick

Rifter

Oh look, it's Kiyouscam, risen from the 8th ring of hell (fraud) to dispense his knowledge to the masses.

Why are you showing your face around here anymore after disappearing for 2-years after your botched multi-forum GB scam/incompetence where you absconded with peoples' funds? People were ready to call the police on your ass for giving them the run-around for months on end.

Did you ever even refund anyone their money after saying you would a year after the GB? Nice year-long interest-free loan, huh? Or did you just walk off with the money while hosting other GBs? I want to know, because I'm surprised your account hasn't been categorically banned for your last GB scam/incompetence, like your Paypal account was. Maybe there was some hope that you'd return and rectify your crimes, but no, you're here to tell people to "stretch the truth".

Classic.

Don't act like the choice to never take part in a GB is even yours to make. Your reputation is completely shot. Who the hell would trust you to do a GB even if you wanted to?

I had no idea, thanks for the heads up. I would probably ignore anything this poster has to say based on these previous... ill go with "less than ethical" actions.

Surprising that he is not banned, and back posting.

TO Clarify besides giving nkgamer1990 advice and reading material i will in no way be helping or organizing this. The source of the optics from my last GB cdbeam knows and if you want to go that route thats fine but I want zero part. MY sole intent on posting was to make sure the OP knew whats hes getting into and if he tries give him the best chance at the best correction optics.

Rifter

I made mistakes and then paid it back with help from the forums and DTR who bought alot of my stock so i could pay people back.
Thats alot better than some other members who ran GB's or were running diode scams and never payed anything back.
While im not perfect and i made mistakes i did what i could to fix them and learn from them. If i was banned the second everything went south it would have been very hard to make everything right and pay people back.

Last edited by a moderator: