Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

cops a knocking at my door

^^^If strik3 can get a restraining order against the guy... it would be the other guy's problem, not his.

At the very least it would force the other guy to go through spending a bit of money on a lawyer.

strik3

My question is..... why were the Cops specifically looking for Lasers...:thinking:

How did the neighbor know to tell the Cops that you had illegal
Lasers if you know that >1mW Lasers are illegal in your country....:thinking:

Jerry

when i first moved in he came over one day to welcome me to the house and i was working on a laser at the time, he asked what i was doing so i told him. but that was over 6 months ago.

Ablaze

I think you missed the part where they live right next to each other.

^^^If strik3 can get a restraining order against the guy... it would be the other guy's problem, not his.

At the very least it would force the other guy to go through spending a bit of money on a lawyer.
Like I said, it would pretty much force the guy to move out, since he would not be able to step outside his front door to smoke or do anything unless he knew for a fact that strik3 wasn't home. If he did, strike3 could call the police on him, and if he smoked inside again strik3 could call the police on him.

He would be faced with the choice of either quitting smoking and rearranging his schedule to fit strik3's, moving out, or going to jail. Not much of a choice, really.

Quick note about rights. The cops can make up ANY excuse to detain, search, and arrest you. In court it comes down to your word against the polices, and you will lose in most cases. Especially if they find illegal sh*t. The only way you will win is if you obviously have the means to fight the charge, or there is a clerical error. And the cops know that.

I find this whole story hard to believe. They dont just give out search warrants. Its has to go through many desks, and a judge has to sign it if he/she sees fit. Lasers are illegal where you live, but they are not a dangerous weapon. Even if you had a gun, they would not write a search warrant just because someone says you have a gun. They would have to investigate, and obtain prove you own a gun. Keep in mind we talking about a gun, not laser. Also why would they ask you if they can search if they had a warrant? They would have just handed you the warrant, and began the search.

And if the smoke is messing your machine up, close the window, duh.

at 7:30 am this morning i had cops knocking on my front door. because someone ( my next door neighbour who is trying to get me into shit cause he has been told off for smoking inside but thats another story) dobed me in. they did not find my 1.3W 445 but they did find some <5mw keychain reds that i bought at a $2 shop. they have since confiscated them and wil lpm them. and if they are over 1mw i get to goto court and explain why i had them. now as they were purchased in australia they should be fine. but this post is just to show what happens here in australia

Interesting. The laws in the United States are different. Its unconstitutional for a police officer to start searching your house for a laser because your neighbor called the cops. Unless a felony is being committed and they physically see an illegal item from outside, they have no authority to search your house. They require a warrant. But most importantly, its not illegal to have a laser over 5mW in the United States, so carrying one is not illegal. Its also not illegal to use one, assuming you are not pointing it at anyone or doing dumb crap like shining it in someone's window.

Last edited:
Interesting. The laws in the United States are different. Its unconstitutional for a police officer to start searching your house for a laser because your neighbor called the cops. Unless a felony is being committed and they physically see an illegal item from outside, they have no authority to search your house. They require a warrant. But most importantly, its not illegal to have a laser over 5mW in the United States, so carrying one is not illegal. Its also not illegal to use one, assuming you are not pointing it at anyone or doing dumb crap like shining it in someone's window.

Thats not entirely true. Yes you can own a >5mW, but you are suppose to be operating it in a lab environment. The lab can be a room in your house, but not your pocket, and not outside.

Also he said they had a warrant.

they said they had a search warent

Last edited:
Quick note about rights. The cops can make up ANY excuse to detain, search, and arrest you. In court it comes down to your word against the polices, and you will lose in most cases. Especially if they find illegal sh*t. The only way you will win is if you obviously have the means to fight the charge, or there is a clerical error. And the cops know that.

I find this whole story hard to believe. They dont just give out search warrants. Its has to go through many desks, and a judge has to sign it if he/she sees fit. Lasers are illegal where you live, but they are not a dangerous weapon. Even if you had a gun, they would not write a search warrant just because someone says you have a gun. They would have to investigate, and obtain prove you own a gun. Keep in mind we talking about a gun, not laser. Also why would they ask you if they can search if they had a warrant? They would have just handed you the warrant, and began the search.

I already told him all of this. They claimed to have a warrant but never showed him one. He chose to let them in.

Not true. If the police have probable cause they can search whatever the hell they want without a signed warrant. In the end it is up to a judge to decide wether or not a search is legal.

strik3

as i have said i alowed them in to search and it was after they had searched that i asked what would happen if i had said no, and thats when they said they had a search warrant or something to that effect(it was 7am and i had only just gone to bed at 6am). i did not see it all

and as for closing the window that wont do anything. as this was originaly one house that the owner then put in a new wall in and made it into two. there are vents in the tops of the walls which are to let heat escape, and what happens is the smoke goes into those vents and then comes over to my side of the house. if i could just close the window i wouldnt have a problem with him smoking inside

Edit:
i called a friend and have a new place to move to temporarily while i find a more permanent solution. all i need to do now is get the lease agrement voided, which shouldnt take much due to the next door neighbours harrasment and the smoking. i should be moving out in 2 weeks

Last edited:
Sounds like a much better solution than all the aggravation and stress of fighting it out. Good choice. And a few lessons learned I would think.

They BSed and intimidated him. There is ZERO chance they had a search warrant off of what amounts to no more then a noise complaint.

Glad to hear that you're getting away from the douche bag neighbor. People like that tend to experience life catch up with them... sooner or later.

at 7:30 am this morning i had cops knocking on my front door. because someone ( my next door neighbour who is trying to get me into shit cause he has been told off for smoking inside but thats another story) dobed me in. they did not find my 1.3W 445 but they did find some <5mw keychain reds that i bought at a $2 shop. they have since confiscated them and wil lpm them. and if they are over 1mw i get to goto court and explain why i had them. now as they were purchased in australia they should be fine. but this post is just to show what happens here in australia

Do you not have the right to refuse a search in australia? sry if this has been addressed, i didn't read the entire thread.

edit: nvm.........

Last edited:
"but they did find some <5mw keychain reds that i bought at a $2 shop. they have since confiscated them and wil lpm them. and if they are over 1mw i get to goto court and explain why i had them."

Just an afterthought on this...
Even if they were tested and proven to be more than 1mw it is not YOUR responsibility to know or test the items that you purchased in good faith from a legal business. The authorities can do nothing to you for buying them. The company that sold them would have a much bigger problem.

". the cop said dont loose sleep over it. chances are u will get a warning and thats it."
THIS comment from the police speaks volumes ! I think you can read into this that they don't care about the petty crap nature of the call out. They responded, took some laser stuff, and left. That's it. They won't bother testing anything as it would be far more cost than the entire thing is worth. And as I pointed out above, they couldn't come after you unless there was clear proof that you knew that the units you had were over spec. It would be the supplier/seller's responsibility.

"i let them in."
Unless you have something to hide or are paranoid this can be a good option. It demonstrates a willingness to be helpful and reduces suspicion. It leaves you open for a whole host of other issues as you have "invited them in" allowing them to legally turn your place over in surprising detail but if you have nothing to hide then it becomes a moot point. Besides, they usually wouldn't bother being too much trouble if you have been "co-operative."

Every time I have any dealings with "Authorities" (work, police, politicians, security, etc.) I firstly treat them with respect and then carefully consider my options. If I don't know the options I ask them what I am entitled to know. Almost all "Authorities" are required to explain these entitlements to you so that they can then say that you were advised of your rights. Just listen carefully to ALL the options and consider how each would apply to you under the circumstances.
This also impresses on the "Authorities" that you are intelligent and not easily intimidated. Sometimes just having a bit of smarts and some balls is enough to convince them that you aren't worth dealing with.

But those are all just my opinions/thoughts.
You undoubtedly will be developing and learning your own.
Hope it works out for you.
:beer: