Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool Observation?

GSS

Yes that too and photons do/can interact but not under the cricumstances/situation he created with a 532nm and 515nm laser. In the context of what he was doing and observing he then asked--"Does the fact that photons not "collide" allow us to produce some DPSS wavelengths by combining their wavelengths?" So I was attempting to address that a little bit.
How would two beams make this collision spot? If there is a simple way to say it?:whistle:

Fill the space with fog, then where they cross you will have the appearance of a mix.

Encap

How would two beams make this collision spot? If there is a simple way to say it?:whistle:

Was not what I meant--sorry for the confusion----I was just acknowledging your thought about Hap's thought "I'm thinking Hap thought at that point of beam interaction it would create a kind of collision spot? "
There is no collision or collision spot as such from 2 beams. As mentioned "photons do/can interact but not under the circumstances/situation he created with a 532nm and 515nm laser"

Photon photon interactions and/or collisions are a whole different very complex topic--no way to say simply other than to say they happen. If you are interested in the subject a google search of "photon photon interactions" will give you a lot to study/read.
An interesting one --photon photon collisions can create matter--here is one reference for the pair production of muons from photons,
see: Exclusive photon-photon production of muon pairs in proton-proton collisions at $\sqrt{s}=7$ TeV - INSPIRE-HEP
"A measurement is reported of the exclusive two-photon production of muon during 2010 at the CERN Large Hadron Collider."

About the machine see: https://home.cern/topics/large-hadron-collider

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Benm

Two beams of different (or identical) color will cross empty space without effecting eachother at all. Air is, under most realistic circumstances, empty space.

Photons can interact with eachother in some materials, the doubling crystal that makes your 532 nm laser possible being a prime example of 2 1064 nm photons combining into a single photon with double the energy.

Air has no properties like this, but has a dielectric breakdown point. If you have a very powerful laser and focus it somewhere in 'mid air', you'll create a spark there. This usually only works with pulsed lasers given the intensity required, but it is a real phenomenon.

Now if you were to take a very large number of lasers and focus them all through the same spot of air you may get this breakdown effect. I'm not sure it could be achieved with any available continous-output lasers at the moment, but it would be pretty cool as adding the final beam would be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Reactions: GSS

Radim

I like your thinking Radim...Alaskans too, but he knows this. I just wanted to comment on your idea that "only our bodies disappear". I disagree, nothing ever really disappears. Oh sure, the arrangement of energy waveforms no longer resembles a human, but it never disappears, only changes form.😉 It's an amazing ummm...thing...we live in, for certain!!

And btw...your laser paintings are THE SHIT!!! Keep 'em coming!

-G

Yes, that's more accurate, according to physics laws - energy cannot be destroyed or created, just the form changes. I was refering to the actual structure what is commonly considered as a body. But you got it.

And thanks. I has been compared to LSD trip by my friend already. By that opportunity I just reacted that LSD may be considered only as the ticket to the surreal world and only as ticket from one of the carriers. ;)

Thread is sure going a different direction, but I don't think Hap minds. It very well may be all of the past, present and future already exist and we only have the illusion of freedom to choose our path.

Very nice. And BTW if speaking about quantum mechanics, this discussion is not completely off topic, especially if we consider name of the thread - "Cool observation?" The observation or measurment is extremely important when speaking about reality. In deed it creates it. Observation is nothing else than just interaction. And as there is no time and no space in "surreal world" (or infinite time and infinite space, it does not make sense there IMO), these are propeties of the real world. Just how I see it based on many stuff I read and many years of thinking about it.

I'm still impressed by mathematics. If you consider it is just constructed in peoples minds, but is very nicely describing what we observe. And one of the most beautiful things in mathematics is fractal geometry. Just take a famous Mandelbrot set as example. Extremely simple mathematic formula generates so called thumbprint of God. So many shapes found in the nature are there, and if you want to see what infinity looks like check out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jGaio87u3A

About MS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set

The strangest thing on it is that human mind created the mathematics by pure logic and by systematicaly deriving from basic axioms. And from simple formula we get something so complex, that describes shapes found in the real world. Could it be just flaw? I do not think so...

Two beams of different (or identical) color will cross empty space without effecting eachother at all. Air is, under most realistic circumstances, empty space.

Photons can interact with eachother in some materials, the doubling crystal that makes your 532 nm laser possible being a prime example of 2 1064 nm photons combining into a single photon with double the energy.

Air has no properties like this, but has a dielectric breakdown point. If you have a very powerful laser and focus it somewhere in 'mid air', you'll create a spark there. This usually only works with pulsed lasers given the intensity required, but it is a real phenomenon.

Now if you were to take a very large number of lasers and focus them all through the same spot of air you may get this breakdown effect. I'm not sure it could be achieved with any available continous-output lasers at the moment, but it would be pretty cool as adding the final beam would be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Nice explanation, I think everybody might understand it clearly. To add to this topic - check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWi10YVmfE

GSS

Fill the space with fog, then where they cross you will have the appearance of a mix.
This will probably be my best bet,:eek: more for curiosity.
Unfortunately iv'e been out of school way to long to even come close to understanding:rolleyes:

Encap

Unfortunately iv'e been out of school way to long to even come close to understanding:rolleyes:

Found short easy to understand overview for you about photon photon interactions:
"Two-photon physics, also called gamma–gamma physics, is a branch of particle physics that describes the interactions between two photons. Normally, beams of light pass through each other unperturbed. Inside an optical material, and if the intensity of the beams is high enough, the beams may affect each other through a variety of non-linear effects. In pure vacuum, some weak scattering of light by light exists as well. Also, above some threshold of this center-of-mass energy of the system of the two photons, matter can be created" ~ from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-photon_physics

Last edited:

GSS

:) Wikipedia does put it as simple as they can. Need to read and re read a few times. Thanx..

GSS

Is there a beginners to wikipedia?:eek:
I think i'm sticking to just making toy's:whistle:
All I can say is if the particle's are charged and accelerated there's a chance?

Radim

:) Wikipedia does put it as simple as they can. Need to read and re read a few times. Thanx..

Just one note from my university studies time - Wiki is just forbidden to be quoted as a source (obvious reasons), however there is a very usefull part at the bottom of each article - references - there might be usually found valuable links. So conclusion - wiki might be used indirectly. :D