Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Convoy S2+ Laser host question

Before I buy the parts for a 505nm aqua laser, I am wondering if the Convoy S2+ host could as well suit the laser itself (and it will be picked in the green color too) as I have several 18650 Lithium-ion batteries I can use, especially the pricey A123 18650 Lithium : Iron Phosphate cell which is kinda useless for the LED flashlight in term of runtime but will do well with the laser as I am planning on running the diode at 5 - 10mW output power.

I also want to know if you Convoy S2+ flashlight (or laser) owner think I should ditch the back portion of the DTR 20mm laser diode module to suit the somewhat larger LED driver pill (I am considering getting the Flaminpyro 16.8mm 50 - 200mA X-Boost driver to power the Sharp 505nm diode (item #062) - hopefully he has some in stock), that way I can screw in the head while keeping the flashlight host 100% stock.

Once it's done, it could as well be a sweet-looking laser pointer (although bulky compared to the classic AA / 675 battery version, at least it's rechargeable).

some of the links on that page dont have a sold out marker but when you go to buy them paypal says its out of stock. give it a try before you get your hopes up on that driver. i found this out when i tried to purchase the extented boost driver.

If Flaminpyro doesn't have any, I will have to try and find someone else, hopefully here on LPF, for the LED flashlight driver style boost converter laser driver just so that 505nm laser diode would light up.

I ordered the blue Convoy S2+ LED flashlight host for the Osram 450nm blue laser diode (Beastly Blue as listed in my signature), as the 20mm laser module heatsink from DTR can fit into it (I measured the flashlight using this body twice just to be 100,000% sure). I will have to modify the LED flashlight driver board to force soft-starting (using a few capacitors as a dampener) to prevent the damage, and if it doesn't work in term of current consumption at the diode itself, I can then look at +1 Amp DC-DC boost laser driver for the blue laser diode (just wanted to see what I can get away with).

As for the 505nm green laser, I will have to keep trying to get ahold of the decent DC-DC boost laser driver - I want to set the laser to 5mW (as well as using slightly lossy glass lens to reduce the power a little bit), not to mention much longer Lithium-ion battery life.

Last edited:
All done. Since the laser diode heatsink was a bit small, I had to stack the washer (and put in rubber o-ring so when I screw the LED driver pill in, it stays put). It actually look nice. I was testing it with A123 18650 Lithium : Iron Phosphate battery, it was close to lasing threshold as the driver here's a modified Nanjg 101-AK-A1 LED driver (1uF capacitor added atop the AMC7135 current regulator close to Cathode output, and the software on microcontroller set to 100% output, none else, except for battery low warning flash). In a while, I may swap out the driver board to get a bit more oomph, however for now, with regular 4.2 Volts Lithium-ion battery, it's quite bright, to the point dusts in the air are apparent (and yes I have red laser goggle).

Attachments

• blue_laser00.jpg
    blue_laser00.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

BobMc

Glad you got it up a running, :gj:

But you are missing one thing, beam shots! :D

Last edited:
There you go. After I clean up the kitchen a bit more, I will be doing some more beamshots, along with 5 years old Osram PL520 520nm handheld laser as the new blue laser's actually much brighter than the green laser, much to my pleasant surprise. AMC7135 kinda work, but not 100% (since it has 0.2 Volts dropout), however since I got 330 mA drawn with the 4.2 Volts Lithium-ion cell, I am satisfied for now (with 3.3 Volts Lithium Iron Phosphate cell, it barely lases at 45mA).

EDITED: added the 520nm green laser and 450nm blue laser beam photo (I was like screw it, and do it in the corner of my apartment). The beams on both laser are clearly visible, but the blue one is apparent WITHOUT a camera, no matter the viewing angle. O__O

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_100024.jpg
    IMG_20180109_100024.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20180109_102007.jpg
    IMG_20180109_102007.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hi
I have a few PL520 diodes I am going to put in a custom machined brass pen host . And another brass pen with the new 495’s . Thinking 1X14500 cell .

Rich:)

Lifetime17, that would be a neat project - sometimes the best package comes in small size. I am looking forward to seeing your 520nm and 495nm laser pointers when you are done. :) As for 14500 cell, it would work as laser pens are usually used intermittently.

***************** NOTE ******************

For those seeking to use Convoy S2+ LED flashlight as a laser host; if you're to use the standard 20mm laser module, you would want to remove the back end and then glue (with Arctic Alumina Adhesive) the front end containing the diode against the LED driver pill with the center drilled out with 5mm bit so the diode leads can snake through to be connected to the 17mm round laser driver (there's a detent in center which helps with drilling job) - you can use the thermal paste if you want, you will want decent stuff like Alumina ceramic or diamond because some laser diodes easily cook. And then you will need to put the 20mm outer diameter and 16mm (or 14mm?) inner diameter washer (or oil pan drainer gasket) which are made of Aluminum into the head before screwing the laser in.

That is my suggestion, however. I am redoing my laser so I can get it well heatsunk before I install a boost driver instead of AMC7135 LED driver. All you have to do is to make it so it doesn't rattle or be loose.

Last edited:
Very nice.

So are you just using the DTR 20mm module for heatsinking? How well does it fit in the S2+ host?

I'm actually thinking of using the S2+ host myself for my 503nm and 475nm diodes.
So how would you describe the color of the green C2+ host? Ie. is it more green or blueish-green.

Last edited:
Yessiree. I am using DTR 20mm laser module - it's kind of loose as-is because the LED driver pill doesn't screw down that far, however as for the mating surface (where the laser diode leads go through and the thermal interfacing material gets applied thereon), it's tight as far as side playing is concerned. Either rubber gasket or metal gasket at the business end of the laser diode heatsink also will take care of rattling issue - I just cut the latex / rubber ring down to 3mm wide and installed into the LED flashlight head so I can have the laser pill stay put in the Convoy S2+ after screwed down kinda tight.

Also, the picture shows how I mount the laser heatsink against the LED driver pill (glued shut with the Arctic Alumina Adhesive so the heatsink stays put).

As for the green Convoy S2+ LED flashlight host body, let's say it's minty green.

EDITED: I also wonder if Flaminpyro's MIA as I will need the 16 - 17mm round adjustable boost switchmode laser drivers for both laser in Convoy S2+ hosts (center positive and ring negative for battery power, like the LED drivers that's usually used in the similar Convoy S2+ flashlights).

Attachments

• IMG_20180109_144433.jpg
    IMG_20180109_144433.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
DTR's 20mm copper heatsink for the 5.6mm diode's sold out again, meaning I may probably have to postpone the 505nm laser pointer build until the pieces I am looking for becomes available again. So do Mountain Electronics - I need the 20mm AR glass window to keep the dirt out of lens (I decided that 505nm laser will be a fixed focus version compared to the blue laser) along with Brass buttons so I don't ruin the Lithium-ion battery.

D

Deleted member 16589

Nice Job I love the s2 Host I built a UV light out of one a few years ago.

Why not go with the 12mm module and use it with a heat sink in whatever host you prefer? It has always worked for me. And these Sharp diodes are all under 150 mW unless you really overdrive it.

Yeah, Convoy S2's a rather nice host, I have made several flashlight (I have a black Convoy S2 flashlight fit with Nichia NVSU233A-U365 LED, which is a silly powerful UV emitter in its right), along with this being my first laser made with this LED flashlight host (now I am planning on making another one basing on 505nm green laser diode).

Why 20mm heatsink? Less work for me, and makes it easier to put it the way I need it to, like with the blue laser. Unless anyone can make me a custom heatsink, I may consider, however I may be fine with winging it.