Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Congo blue and primary red eye protector

I have a sheets of congo blue and primary red gel sheets. When combined, the effect is like looking through that of a welders mask. I can point my lasers directly at my pupil, and just see the red glow of the LD (keep in mind the lasers are <50mW green). I am wondering if this is as safe as goggles. I tested if IR is leaking through with my camera, but it seems to let as much IR through as regular light--which is close to nothing. It was originally meant for a project fo IR pics of the sun. or just going outside and looking at the sun--which the effect of doing this is like a dim glowing ball. As i said, i just want to make sure this is safe, and will not potentially harm my eyes, as of now, i think it is ok. What do ya think?

Arayan

The primary red is the complementary color for the green and it is good to protect against a green wavelength. To test if your filters are safe like goggles you can use a power meter :)

id say the red is probably ok for a 50mw greenie.. but i would recommend picking up a pair of goggles.. especially if you plan on using higher powered lasers

mfo

Well one thing is for sure, you've definitely got more balls than me. Even with glasses I'd never point it in my eyes.

id say the red is probably ok for a 50mw greenie.. but i would recommend picking up a pair of goggles.. especially if you plan on using higher powered lasers

Alright i probably will, but for now, i'll keep experimenting until my eyes burn out.:crackup::crackup:

Alright i probably will, but for now, i'll keep experimenting until my eyes burn out.:crackup::crackup:

Even then you don't know how much IR is going through the filters. If I were you I would use a junk camera to see how much light really is going through. Also keep in mind that the filters are only good for attenuating the light, a direct hit to the filters could melt them fast and let some light to go though.

Grix

Theatrical gel will not protect against direct hits for longer than a few milliseconds, before the laser burns through.

ZheolD

Totaly off topic But creanzworld17 love your avatar hah Popcorn anyone? hah

Did you do any reading on this forum? Welders masks don't protect your eyes man....

............I didnt say they do. I was just saying it provides the effect of that of the mask-meaning it takes about 95% of the light away (the gel...and fyi everyone, i am using the gel not to point at my eyes-i just said that earlier to prove a point-i am using it to protect my eyes in dark rooms, or from reflective surfaces)