Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Confused?

Nighthawk

So, using a green 532nm laser with goggles in the past hurt my eyes. This was before I got Eagle Pair goggles. After getting eagle pair, I used a 1000mW blue laser. Aside from eye dryness, I feel nothing when using the laser. However, whenever I use the green one, I get sick or have eye aches. Why is this? The green laser is much weaker.

61Nig6AcooL._AC_UL115_.jpg

>>>Warning<<<

"If you think you need medical help or attention for an eye injury or any other medical problem, you probably do."
"If you have been hit in the eye with a laser and feel you have suffered any type of eye injury as the result of an accident with a laser that may need medical opinion or treatment,
go to a hospital Emergency Room and/or consult a qualified Board Certified MD Ophthalmologist ASAP.
LPF is a laser hobbyist website, not physicians, and cannot give any medical or legal advice.
No professional medical or legal advice is available or possible on LPF"

For additional information see laserpointersafety.com here:
Laser Pointer Safety - What to do if you are hit by a laser pointer or laser pen

So, using a green 532nm laser with goggles in the past hurt my eyes. This was before I got Eagle Pair goggles. After getting eagle pair, I used a 1000mW blue laser. Aside from eye dryness, I feel nothing when using the laser. However, whenever I use the green one, I get sick or have eye aches. Why is this? The green laser is much weaker.
we need to know more about your eye-wear and the mW of your 532-- - matching mW does not always mean equal 'brightness' 3W of 405 is less 'bright' than 50 mW of 532--apples and oranges--reply with all info you find on your lenses and/or frames-- 'weaker' and 'brightness' are not a scientific terms.(afaik)

Nighthawk

Could it be a significant output of IR from the 532 ?
Possibly but I'm not sure. A 100mW 532nm laser like that? The 800nm range IR would be merely 10 - 20mW. That may very well be it though I can't see how.

Nighthawk

we need to know more about your eye-wear and the mW of your 532-- - matching mW does not always mean equal 'brightness' 3W of 405 is less 'bright' than 50 mW of 532--apples and oranges--reply with all info you find on your lenses and/or frames-- 'weaker' and 'brightness' are not a scientific terms.(afaik)
Eagle Pair 190-540 & 800-2000

Giannis_TDM

Eagle Pair 190-540nm & 800-2000nm OD4+
that pair has shown to be ineffective under community testing with a spectrophotometer (check the survival lasers thread) at meeting its ratings and blocking 532 so there is your issue, the goggles themselves are at fault.

Garoq

that pair has shown to be ineffective under community testing with a spectrophotometer (check the survival lasers thread) at meeting its ratings and blocking 532 so there is your issue, the goggles themselves are at fault.
Incorrect. It was the OD5 model that apparently has a small dip in the absorbance curve at 505nm, not 532nm. (SL-GLG1X, 190-540nm & 800-1700nm OD5). The manufacturer (Eagle Pair) stated that it was willing to replace the filters for any customer that purchased these goggles from before 2020. We have a number of these filters in stock if anyone would like them.