Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Specs thread (Debate+Support)

Re: Computer Specs thread

charlie bruce said:
UNDERclocked? You blaspheme! Besides, [highlight]2.4ghz is pretty low for ANY system made in the last 5 years [/highlight];)

I got the LCD poster set up, and each time it fails to boot it reports "DET  IDE" - detecting drives. It may be nothing, and most probably is only part of the problem, but I disconnected my CD/DVD drive when it was totally failing to boot, and it's been fine since (last 45 minutes). Is removing this forcing the SATA controller to do something differently? Removing the drive does not solve the issues totally, though, I tried this in the past when I suspected the drive, and it would still hang. Removing the drive is not a permanent solution for me, either - all my data and video is burnt to DVD. When it hung in Windows, the poster continued to display the time as normal.

With the Hackintosh, I had a lot of fun making it work too, and the first time I saw that grey spinny thing and dock sliding onto my screen was a magic moment. It's strange that nearly all of those magic moments for me happen on the computer or with high-powered lasers... [highlight]I need to get out more  :D[/highlight]
I will have some photos if you want, since it is quite a good-looking computer if I do say so myself (no UV light for the coolant though), but only after I've tidied my desk!

[highlight]2.4 ghz low in the past 5 years?  Did they even have quad cores 5 years ago??!! :)Try 3 years ago!!  3 years ago the 2.4ghz quad core was top of the line. ;)[/highlight]

FYI: If you computer durring a bootup comes accross an error it will stop at that point and freeze or restart. So it could be an IDE problem or a Serial problem since that is the next step.

Give this a try......
http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showpost.php?s=872490a9fe5135dadff9908aaa15eb14&p=357743&postcount=2

Also, remove all external drives and memory card readers.

[highlight]Same Here :) :)[/highlight]

It's still not hung after disconnecting the DVD drive, must have been 24 hours striaght usage and overnight - but that wasn't proof in the past so I can't claim it to have been fixed by this. I have no external/memory card readers. I had measured the CMOS battery at 3.something volts relatively recently, but I'll buy a replacement anyway - DX batteries FTW!

As for the 2.4ghz comment, a 5 year old laptop I got was 2.4ghz, but only single-core, and single-core desktops can reach over 5ghz under liquid nitrogen. What I meant by my comment was that any motherboard made in the last 5 years should be able to handle data through it at 2.4ghz in a stable manner, if not then it's broken...

charlie bruce said:
It's still not hung after disconnecting the DVD drive, must have been 24 hours striaght usage and overnight - but that wasn't proof in the past so I can't claim it to have been fixed by this. I have no external/memory card readers. I had measured the CMOS battery at 3.something volts relatively recently, but I'll buy a replacement anyway - DX batteries FTW!
[highlight]
As for the 2.4ghz comment, a 5 year old laptop I got was 2.4ghz, but only single-core, and single-core desktops can reach over 5ghz under liquid nitrogen. What I meant by my comment was that any motherboard made in the last 5 years should be able to handle data through it at 2.4ghz in a stable manner, if not then it's broken[/highlight]...

That makes a lot more since!! :)
Well good luck with your PC. Give more update as to what happens as time goes on.

Day 3 in the Striker's mind:

Still no hangs at all
Still no DVD drive plugged in though
Still nothing whatsoever on the Ethernet ports
Wireless working OK enough to watch iPlayer without lag
I need my DVD drive back at some time! Gah.

I'm going to see if I can get it to hang through some heavy overclocking (I am going to see if it manages at 3.6, that was around the limit of "stability" at one time, not that it's ever been really rock-steady...)

I've decided that, provided it survives without hanging for some time, that I'm going to wait until the Summer and then buy an i7 and a new high-end nVidia card (Unless ATI have a nVidia killer that plays Warhead at max resolution for less). You might think that's an odd move, but my brother wants a gaming computer, and if i make a quad-core "free" along with my current graphics card, it costs us much less overall. Sadly he was also looking into laptops, so I'm not sure if this is going to work out...

Alternatively, I could actually do something productive with my life at the weekend, and make some cash...
Looking back on this thread, it's not really a PC Specs thread any more, more of a Big Debate and Tech Support thing all rolled into one...

Also: I have access to a CNC milling machine, free copper supply and acryllic, so does anyone think building GFX waterblocks and selling them would be a good idea? I can run a fluid simulation for me to get the best flow (I have a friend with professional tools), I know quite a bit about designing and thermodynamics, I only use nonconductive coolant when I do my own watercooling and wouldn't mind it as a hobby - it looks like an incredibly profitable job if I can make it work and resist the temptation of using my "test" cards 24/7 ;D Only thing I'd be worried about is breaking customers' cards - any leak, and I'd be significantly out of pocket, or worse, in a lawsuit, and a flaw in my design, and the card cooks itself. I don't know if a written disclaimer would have any actual legal enforcibility, either...

charlie bruce said:
Day 3 in the Striker's mind:

Still no hangs at all
Still no DVD drive plugged in though
Still nothing whatsoever on the Ethernet ports
Wireless working OK enough to watch iPlayer without lag
I need my DVD drive back at some time! Gah.

I'm going to see if I can get it to hang through some heavy overclocking (I am going to see if it manages at 3.6, that was around the limit of "stability" at one time, not that it's ever been really rock-steady...)

I've decided that, provided it survives without hanging for some time, that I'm going to wait until the Summer and then buy an i7 and a new high-end nVidia card (Unless ATI have a nVidia killer that plays Warhead at max resolution for less). You might think that's an odd move, but my brother wants a gaming computer, and if i make a quad-core "free" along with my current graphics card, it costs us much less overall. Sadly he was also looking into laptops, so I'm not sure if this is going to work out...

Alternatively, I could actually do something productive with my life at the weekend, and make some cash...
[highlight]Looking back on this thread, it's not really a PC Specs thread any more, more of a Big Debate and Tech Support thing all rolled into one...[/highlight]
Hey if you are from usa or Canada, buy this DVD burner from New Egg.  It is SATA.  I own this one and it works great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171

I noticed the same thing. [highlight]People, Please keep posting your computer specs and pictures of your computers.[/highlight]

See my last paragraph - edited before I noticed that you'd already posted... I'm in the UK so NewEgg is out, but the drive I'm using had no problems when in operation, and I unplugged it once before and the machine would still hang, so it's not a complete and guaranteed solution. I'll try the drive in my brother's computer and see what happens.

I have a little shop here in the UK I use for many of my computer parts - Novatech.co.uk (Their site either works with or without WWW but I can't remember which...). The machine still hasn't hung yet and has been in normal operation for all of that time. By the way, if anyone is interested, I am setting up a quick 6X buy. You should check my thread out if you were interested in a 6X drive but couldn't buy in large quantities. Here's the link: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1236032238

I can't think of anything else you'd need to power those babies up.

Be advised, having that many fans will make some noise, maybe you could spend some extra money on sound dampening materials to cover the insides of your server cases.

My opinion on the proc. heatsink: I do not like it. Yeah I know it's "Asus", but I'd rather get a nice Thermalright that can do the job, they're not pretty but they're big and not very expensive, try to look for some of the old models, they perform really well and will keep your server with a good airflow.