Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Companies In The Uk

Phil

Hi Guys. I am very much a newbie to green lasers or any laser pointers for that matter. I have seen a few posts regarding Megalaseruk.com but has it been decided that they are actually O.K to buy from? Also their site is very similar to Spymodex.com. Does anyone know of a reason for that?

Anyway my main question is - What are my options for buying lasers in the Uk.
I don't want a really powerful one - nothing over 100mw really. Where is the best place for me to go.

Thanks very much.

I bought a 50mw from MegalaserUK, no ir filter and comes nowhere near the visible output of a 20mw from Megagreen. There are a few other problems with Megalaseruk that I am chasing up on Monday 4th as the people I need to speak to are shut until then.

Megagreen are a lot more expensive but then you get what you pay for, 50mw will cost you £99

Mark

Phil

Thanks for your reply.

Would you recommend Megagreen as a company to buy from then?

Don't know if I want to pay for the 50mw. Is the 20mw sufficient?

Phil

Hi Phil, Any particular reason why you want to buy from the UK?  I ask as I have purchased a number of different power greens from Deal extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.911
Or from LPF member standstone11 (look in buy sell trade).
I have never had a problem with either seller, delivery is generaly 2 weeks but the prices are far lower than any UK sellers that I have looked at....

Regards rog8811

Phil

Hi rog8811,

The reason is that I live in the Uk. It looks to me by some of the posts that I've seen that I could pay an extra £30 ($40) or so in the form of customs charges. I can't say for sure to be honest because I don't know but thats what it looks like.

I was tempted by the 30+mw laser on optotronics but (if) I had to pay the extra customs charges - I thought I might be better getting the 20mw from Megagreen because I presume ordering from a Uk site would mean No customs charges.

Phil

I have ordered over 10 lasers from abroad, and never had to pay customs charges

Phil

I thought that someone said anything over £30 you had to pay customs.

You do live in the Uk, right robjdixon

Thanks

I also live in the UK, you were discussing realativly low powered lasers, the DX ones have always arrived without any nasty import surprises. If you talk to optitronics they will be able to tell you what delivery arrangements they use.

Regards rog8811

all right guys, so there will be no problem with customs???? with policy/laws in UK????
no additionall fees???

i would like to know it for sure before i will make an order, because i would not order 25dollars laser and then recieve just letter from custom, or even pay some extra money for this cheap stuff... in this case i will order from some UK seller rather

could anybody clear it up for me for sure????

cheers

Chances are you'll be fine ordering from USA. laser over 1mw are illegal in the UK without cause. if your gonna spend £1500 on a laser there is a chance (how ever small) could be confiscated. Ive heard scitec lasers in the uk are reliable

HMC

hi I bought a megalaseruk  300mw laser pointer and my record distance for lighting matches was 14 - 1/8" 12 seconds

popping black ballons - 6 feet.  4 seconds

Of course the lable had the infamous <300  (less than 300) label that you cant see on the net.

I have a friend that work's at the univercity of manitoba that said he could have it tested fully by the students and get a compleate performance log but i'm afraid they will push a second grade laser too the limits and cook it.
 I ran it for 18 seconds once and the body was already getting pretty hot.  :(

Conclusion: Fun toy for very short periods. :D

Ps: sorry about the spelling I'm just too lasy or busy too fix it. its faster just to apologise. ;D