Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coming Soon: Radiant Mini™ USB Power Meter

My $0.02 is still that, despite one of the patents I spoke of yesterday having actually lapsed for non-payment, there at least 2 valid US patents that I think cover much of the LPM tech used by these small portable LPMs we have here.

Well - the actual $0.02 to take from all of that - is that FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE (LPM makers, forum posters, laser enthusiasts), it would be a good idea to simmer all of this back-and-forth battling down, and quiet all the drama.

If people continue to be stupid about this, it's going to attract the attention of someone who owns one of those patents (and their lawyer). Regardless of whether there's infringement or not (I don't really have an opinion there), it bottom-line sucks to be a small guy needing to spend money on counsel.

So everyone needs to cut the crap - for all of our sake's.

Yep, that's my $0.02

As I explained to you yesterday in PM and pointed out that the
Patent you referred to in post #26 had elapsed... That same
patent's first claim of 3 different operations and functions did
not apply to any LaserBee Product and as such I had nothing
to fear for infringing that particular patent..
I and only I know how the LaserBee products work... and I can't
see someone with a patent going after one that sells a black box
where one shines a laser in one end and gets some numbers
out the other end...
Fear mongering won't help... and I'm not afraid that I'm infringing
any active patent...

Jerry

rhd

As I also explained to you yesterday - there are 2 (or more) other LPM patents in the US that ARE active. I also explained that you don't have to function exactly the same way as something to infringe it.

You're also missing the point of my post -
"Regardless of whether there's infringement or not (I don't really have an opinion there), it bottom-line sucks to be a small guy needing to spend money on counsel."

It doesn't take much to rack up $5k in legal bills just getting a lawyer to respond to letters for you - regardless of whether you're ultimately right or wrong.

My point is, why not just cool the jets, so that attraction isn't drawn in the first place?

Jets. Specifically, their being cool in temperature. That is my suggestion. Nothing more. I don't have a dog in this race. Just think some chilling would be useful all around.

If you could PM me those other active patents or links to those
patents you refer to... I would surely like to look them over in
case I am actually infringing on one of them... Thanks rhd...

Jerry