Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Combining Blu Ray beams?

V

V1.15

OK, I will show off my lack of laser knowledge, and the sheer volumes of what I don't know "electrically speaking" as a mechanical engineer...
Say one was interested in combining multible beams of Blu Ray into one massive beam - how would one go about doing such a thing? I can find info on combining other colors together - but I can not find out about two blu rays. From what I am undersatnding (perhaps wrongly so) is that you need a prisim - but from what I have read - this prisim passes one wavelength but reflect the other at a 90 degree bend, and viola! Combined beams...

But how do I pass one BR and Bounce one BR??

Is this even possible, or is this ME just dreaming up wild concoctions that cannot be built.

You know - like the "three questions" we MEs always ask...
1. What is it supposed to do? (combine beams)
2. Will it do that? (I have no idea, please inform)
3. Can it be built? (Again, I am asking for help on this one)...

Many thanks!

I have combined 2 PS3 blue rays using the small splitter cube from the the PS3 sled.
The one that shines straight through needs to be polorised (turn the module through 90deg to get the best light) the one from the side is not polorised.

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• light_bench_02small.jpg
    light_bench_02small.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 240
V

V1.15

That is really cool - thank you for sharing!

Next question - were you collimated and focused before the cube, or can I combine the diodes before I collimate and focus? I'd like to try and set up a more permanent mount, probably in a portable format. It might be a bit unorthodox, but how else can we get (significantly) more than 100 mW out of the 405 spectrum without combining the outputs of diodes? Also, is there some kind of equation that would guess-ta-mate the resultant beam of two combined beams? For some reason I don't think it is as easy as 1+1 :lol:

Thanks again for the reply. Can't wait to get a few more 405's to play with. I did order a few drives, so I will have a few of those prisms to play with. Thanks for the advice!

V1.15 said:
That is really cool - thank you for sharing!

Next question - were you collimated and focused before the cube, or can I combine the diodes before I collimate and focus? I'd like to try and set up a more permanent mount, probably in a portable format. It might be a bit unorthodox, but how else can we get (significantly) more than 100 mW out of the 405 spectrum without combining the outputs of diodes? Also, is there some kind of equation that would guess-ta-mate the resultant beam of two combined beams? For some reason I don't think it is as easy as 1+1 :lol:

Thanks again for the reply. Can't wait to get a few more 405's to play with. I did order a few drives, so I will have a few of those prisms to play with. Thanks for the advice!

You could always go for the 6x burner diode. I've seen a picture of 201mW with one of these, mines right around 150 right now. But I'm sure I can push it further.

Next question - were you collimated and focused before the cube
The LD's were mounted and focused in Aixiz modules then directed at the cube, It must be possible to do it the other way though...

Regards rog8811

V

V1.15

GooeyGus said:
You could always go for the 6x burner diode. I've seen a picture of 201mW with one of these, mines right around 150 right now. But I'm sure I can push it further.
I have been looking for one... but have not yet found one. Have not yet searched to learn what they "come out of" either. They do sound very interesting however!

daguin

V1.15 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1212247869/0#3 date=1212294201]

I have been looking for one... but have not yet found one. Have not yet searched to learn what they "come out of" either. They do sound very interesting however! [/quote]

They come out of blu-ray 6X burners.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-GGW-H20L-6X-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Peace,
dave

**GEEZE** So this is what a 500th post looks like, eh? I though it would be more impressive.

V

V1.15

$270 plus shipping.... hmm. I could buy TEN of the 803's for that money.

So my original idea of combining several beams into a single beam for increased output is still alive :lol:

Now all I have to do is build it :D
One thought I had... Fiber optics - if I piped the 405 through fibres and then combined the fibers into a single collimator/focus assy - would that be feasible?

I'd like to see 200-300 mW of 405, but I'd rather not spend a fortune to do it. This is an amusing hobby at the moment, one that I don't really want to sink a ton of cash into... yet.

Switch

You can't combine more than 2. :p

The fiber optic idea wouldn't work, you would still have 2 beams.

Btw, it's way easier to combine actual beams than raw diverging diode output...that would be a pain.And the total power is pretty much 1+1-loss through optics.

roSSco

Switch said:
You can't combine more than 2. :p
You can combine more than two beams. ;) I am working on combining 4 reds to make a 1W portable. ;) You do have to use just one cube though.